Paradise Fish Enquiry...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

jkrekord

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi all.
I'm a little confused, so allow me to explain. I'm sure we are all aware Betta Splendens are very popular for to keep alone in small setups, which is all well and good. However as far as I can tell they seem to have similar requirements to Paradise Fish, both species are anabanatoids, both species are rather temperamental, both species are a similar size, etc. If anything Paradise Fish appear to an even more hardy fish. So my enquiry is, why are they not more popular for being kept alone in small setups? I mean the average reccomended tank size seems to be 20+ gallons, but there isn't really much to say why that is apart from their temperement, what if you were to keep one alone? The reason I ask is i have a couple of spare small tanks and have always fancied keeping a Paradise Fish.
Thanks, James.

If you want a fish to put in small tank stick to betta...or get some endlers. Do NOT imprison a poor paradise fish in a tiny tank, it's cruel. You can't keep paradise fish in very small tanks like male betta because
1. Pardise fish are larger than betta, with body the same size as the larger types of adult male swordtails
2. Unlike betta who spend most of their time sitting on leaves paradise fish are very active like gourami so they need space to swim
3. Paradise fish have normal fins and can swim quite fast so they need space wheras male betta are hampered by their very long flowing fins -some veiltails can barely swim.
4. Although individual temperament varies, on the whole male pardise fish do tolerate others of their species unlike male betta. It is often possible to keep several pardise fish in the same tank, even males. I have a group of 4 together -2 males and 2 femaales- and they never fight. A paradise fish needs to interact and would get bored and lonely on its own in a small tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back