Panda Corys And Dwarf Lobster

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Barb-barian

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My lady has a few panda corys in her tank now and fell in love with the Mexican dwarf lobster while at a shop.  We were curious if this could work out? My logic is that the dwarf lobster will only get to be 1.5-2 inches big so he will be about the same size of the corys.  They are both active at night so probably wont catch the corys sleeping.  my logic seems sound in my head but i don't have any experience with this combo so i was looking for more insight.  she is rocking a 10g for curiosity sake.

I will disagree and say that it probably will not work the way you want it to.   All the literature says they are non aggressive to small fish and inverts and fine with plants.  In my experience they are perfectly fine with plants which is totally opposite of other cray species which eat plants.  These little guys are not really invert or small fish friendly though.  I kept mine with cherry shrimp and pygmy cories.  They slowly ate the shrimp and tore the cories fins to pieces.  If the tank was big enough it MIGHT work but in a 10 gallon it would not.  

I also do not recommend cories in a 10 gallon unless they are one of the 3 pygmy species (hasbrous, pygmaeous, Hastatus) because they really need more floor space.  Even though panda cories are small they are still around 2in full grown so would need a bigger tank.

I'm inclined to agree with wildbetta's statement. Unless it is a tank with a huge floor space with lots of plants and hiding places, mixing them together can yield unwanted results. A natural predator/opportunistic omnivore's size should not be underestimated. Note for example that a 2cm long aggressive fish can harass a fish 5 times its size to stress and even death.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back