Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

JuiceBox52

Passionate about fish and their care
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
So sometime in the future I would love to do a paludarium build, maybe 70 gallons for the water part? With a big land area. I would love some ideas from people who have (or haven't) done this sort of thing. Stocking suggestions, plant ideas, anything really. Photos of other members paludarium? :)

I’m think about doing the same thing this summer! We should keep in touch for ideas. The tank I’m thinking about is my empty 55. Plants I’ve been looking at are air plants and believe it or not bean sprouts . So why those? Ok here’s my theory air plants are both beneficial and easy. They don’t really have roots, so I can move them easy if I don’t like them and put them literally any where in the tank plus they are a decent oxygen provider. Bean sprouts, not a super common choice I know, but I’m looking for something that grows quick, plus they’re edible for a variety of species.
Pothos is popular but just doesn’t work for my species because it grows too big and I think it will defeat the purpose of an island. Please comment. This is a project I’m looking forward to

My LFS has several of these, they are very cool. :)
F96A61EC-0ADC-47BD-8D62-16E30917D60E.jpeg

This isn’t exactly what I was thinking of, but they do have 2 of what you’re speaking of in the back. This is their poison dart frog terrarium. They are very cool. :)

My tank idea is more invert based, I should add. I didn’t list any large aquatic plants because I don’t want my bugs climbing off their islands

You could try vampire crabs in a paludarium. They are so amazing and there are so many creatures which can co-exist in them. Here are some critter ideas for the land section: Crabs, Ants, Mantis, Millipede, Isopods, Frogs, Newts, Salamanders and maybe some species of reptile. Just make sure all plants are non-toxic, I wish I could do this but it is so expensive to make!

You could try vampire crabs in a paludarium. They are so amazing and there are so many creatures which can co-exist in them. Here are some critter ideas for the land section: Crabs, Ants, Mantis, Millipede, Isopods, Frogs, Newts, Salamanders and maybe some species of reptile. Just make sure all plants are non-toxic, I wish I could do this but it is so expensive to make!
No way! It can be totally cheap. Only as expensive as you want it to be. If you grab some soil branches and grass seed, add water paludarium!

They are crazy expensive. That one I posted probably cost more than $400 USD.

I’m just making my own with an old tank I originally got on Craig’s list. Most of the stuff that makes it expensive is going to vary on what you keep. My inverts would be blown away by a big water fall for example :) If you build it yourself it’s much cheaper. And can look better

Sounds like a big project but it could be a lot of fun too. ;) I would try and go simple. I had thought about building a crab inland in the middle of a 75 gallon tank.:drool:
Crabs are always tempting. there’s a few species that even climb plants, if you build a straight up paludarium!
Or you could go with a relative and have a mixed tank of crayfish with tree frogs ! That would be sweet.

I definitely want a small water fall, I dont remember what kind it was called buy it's the kind you can make with PVC pipe and gravity/siphon power lol. I sketched an idea last night. Also, I was wondering as I am wanting to run a small animal rescue, I I placed this future paludarium in a large enclosure and had birds and fish how do you guys think that would go down?

I definitely want a small water fall, I dont remember what kind it was called buy it's the kind you can make with PVC pipe and gravity/siphon power lol. I sketched an idea last night. Also, I was wondering as I am wanting to run a small animal rescue, I I placed this future paludarium in a large enclosure and had birds and fish how do you guys think that would go down?
It could work. I’ve seen something similar on youtube, a huge paludarium complete with birds, fish and frogs!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back