Pair Of Honey Gouramis Acting Weird

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SyedaAmbreenZaffar

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a 10 gallon water tank. i have one pair of dwarf honey gourami(females) they were very peaceful and normal along with orange and black mollies until i introduced one pair of blue gourami they seemed normal first couple of days but after that one blue gourami started twitching and died suddenly. i separated the other blue gourami(thinking both new fish might be infected bcz the other blue was also staying at the bottom)and changed 50 % of the water and also pour six drops of antibacterial rid-all solution which i got from pet store. After one day, both honey gourami arnt acting normal one stays near the filter most of the time and one is having fits i mean she stays still and loses her balance n start to drown llike she is lethargic the next moment she swims so fast like quikly to the top and bottom and then again act like drowning and also she sits at the bottom both fish's gills turned red. They eat normally after eating they do as aforesaid all day:(((((( what to do????I read abt gourami diseases this might be iridovirus which they possibly got from blue gourami. I live in Pakistan and its a local fish i guess and irirdovirus is usually found in singaporian gourami. The report from a team of Australian scientists, headed by Professor Richard Whittington of the University of Sydney, http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=1108said that mollies r also susceptible to this virus when kept in a same tank. One of my orange mollies started to sit at the bottom of the tank(she is not pregnant) while all other fish are acting normal. Can anyone confirm from the behaviors told above could it be virus or any tank related issue?????? I dont have test kit yet but i change water every 5-6 days i mean when it seems cloudy. so ammonia cant be that high. my filter is working fine i guess! i checked it. I bought the tank on August 12 so cycle must be established hopefully. i washed the filter's cotton once partially but not as fresh as new. I am aware that it should be dirty enough to establish bacterial colonies but i dont know where i went wrong??? Any help would be highly appreciated!!
Thanks in Advance,

I dont have test kit yet but i change water every 5-6 days i mean when it seems cloudy.
Your water goes cloudy? That's not right.
How did you cycle the tank?
What water treatment are you using.
What is the water temp.

And that tank is way too small any of those fish. 10 Gallon is about 40 litres, Just enough for 1 Betta.

I put gravel and few rocks and artificial plants i dont know how it goes cloudy. Is it my filter not working properly???but it seems to be working it sucks the dirt. it seemed clogged so i jus washed the lid. Tank's temp is 95 F.

Do you really mean 95 F or is that a typo? That converts to 35 C, and the preferred temp range range for honey gouramis is 22 to 27 C.

If you didn't cycle the tank with ammonia before getting fish, you are now doing a fish-in cycle. The first thing to do is large daily water changes. Once you have a test kit, you'll know when to to do water changes but until you can test for ammonia and nitrite, do them every day. And lower the temp in the tank to somewhere in the region of 77 F - do it slowly, a bit at a time.

The following links explain what you need to do in more detail
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/433769-rescuing-a-fish-in-cycle-gone-wild-part-i/
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/433778-rescuing-a-fish-in-cycle-gone-wild-part-il/

And don't get any more fish for this tank. It is really too small for even just the two honey gouramis.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back