P. furcatus just days old

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Joy to the world
All the boys and girls
Joy to the fishes in the deep blue sea
Joy to you and me

Well, here's two of three brand new days old Blue-Eyed Forktail rainbow fish fry; just look at 'em 🥰.

Joy to the fishes...in the grow-out tank...& Joy to you and me!

Ah, a successful tank. Can't relate. My tank might be crashing, due to suspected shrimp deaths(found what may be a body but not sure). Anyway, I might be getting a larger tank in the near future(done right this time), and I want either fork tails or kribs. Because you have experience, can you give me tips? I'm planning to do an aquascape, and don't particularly want gudgeons with forktails. Also how do you get them to spawn? Much cooler than guppies.

Ah, a successful tank. Can't relate. My tank might be crashing, due to suspected shrimp deaths(found what may be a body but not sure). Anyway, I might be getting a larger tank in the near future(done right this time), and I want either fork tails or kribs. Because you have experience, can you give me tips? I'm planning to do an aquascape, and don't particularly want gudgeons with forktails. Also how do you get them to spawn? Much cooler than guppies.

I don't know that by it is me getting them to do anything they're just doing what it is they're doing.

Best tip, I think in any successful tank situation, is water quality.

I think that's it.!
😂
No that's not all there is, but it does seem that the vast majority of the problems are caused by water quality.

I could improve on tank maintenance for sure.

I was going to point out that before you fix any problems that arise you must first pay attention to your tank.

That that could be a daunting prospect if you've never done a real thorough examination you're in for a surprise!

I'll never forget the first time I realized that the thing I was looking at was actually a worm and it was moving and it wasn't just a piece of fuzz.

Also paying attention is a way you can find out if your fish are not healthy.

(Oh, for spawning, give the fish of a wide variety of foods including good quality meaty types).

Last edited:
Yeah. Are they known for their liking of a strong current?
In the main tank they do like to frolic in the current. There are also more calm areas is in the tank.
I'm going to go ahead and move these fry and with the ones that are little older and a different grow out tank.
These fry actually hatched in my shrimp tank, which is where they are in the video. I do keep the water moving quite a bit in an attempt to discourage egg fungus. If I find eggs in the main tank I just transfer them to the shrimp tank for hatching, and sometimes they grow be in the main tank and I find them there.

It's curious how they come in twos. if I find one sure enough I'll be most likely to find another one the next day.

Congrats...what kind of filter is on the G.O. tank, that's some hefty flow for the little fellas, lol
Thanks!
There's quite a little cluster of plants up there where they can get rest but I agree the water is moving right along!
They were at the tail end of being fed here; you can probably notice there well-rounded little specs.

I have a wide range of fry in the grow out tank and curious whether or not these will
actually be too small..

If so I'll definitely be adjusting the flow✨

BTW : noticed they are slow growers
Which fish are slow growers, the P. furcatus?
Mine grew rapidly and were 1 inch long and sexually mature at 2-3 months of age.

Make sure you feed them well, do big regular water changes, have warm water (28C is best for growing tropical fish).

Mine grew rapidly and were 1 inch long and sexually mature at 2-3 months of age.

Make sure you feed them well, do big regular water changes, have warm water (28C is best for growing tropical fish).
I can see mine in a month, which will make three months, I will take a picture so you can see @Colin_T . Then you can compare and I can get your input.
If I remember the parents of these fry seem to stay small for a while and then they had a big growth spurt.
Compared to my peacock gudgeons, the blue eyes are growing faster.

P.gertrudae

I couldn't get a picture but there are four!
Here's a picture from way back with (probably) one of those four fry and nursery attendant:

Attachments

• IMG_20211119_052020~2.jpg
    IMG_20211119_052020~2.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 26

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back