Overstocked?

Briggan

Fish Crazy
Fish of the Month šŸŒŸ
Reaction score
Hi!
So I think Iā€™ve posted about this before but I thought Iā€™d ask again.
I have a 3 gallon tank with a rather small male betta and a female guppy who hasnā€™t had fry in months (also hadnā€™t been with a male since I bought her).
Is there any chance I could add a young female guppy in do the other isnā€™t lonely, or is that way over stocked?
O should add that there are lots of hiding places and a soft, flowy plant.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi!
So I think Iā€™ve posted about this before but I thought Iā€™d ask again.
I have a 3 gallon tank with a rather small male betta and a female guppy who hasnā€™t had fry in months (also hadnā€™t been with a male since I bought her).
Is there any chance I could add a young female guppy in do the other isnā€™t lonely, or is that way over stocked?
O should add that there are lots of hiding places and a soft, flowy plant.
Thanks!
Hi and welcome to the forum :hi:

3 gallons is enough for one single Betta alone. Although, 5 gallons is actually recommended.

You need to remove one of them asap. Both species are probably quite stressed.

Male bettas should be kept alone, they are solitary fish. Some people do well with them in large community tanks. However, it depends on the bettas personality.

This being said, I am a firm believer that bettas should always be alone. They become stressed with other fish around. Other species can also become stressed by the bettas.

Both species also require different parameters. Guppies are hard water fish, which means they require a higher GH.

While bettas naturally occur in softer water and need a lower GH.

I think @Byron or @Colin_T should be able to assist further.

Best of luck.

Yes, I agree. Personally, I believe anything under 5 gallons is too small for any fish, let alone two. If I were you, I would get a separate tank for the guppy and give her a few companions. Guppies are schooling fish and need a group to be happy.

Yes, I agree. Personally, I believe anything under 5 gallons is too small for any fish, let alone two. If I were you, I would get a separate tank for the guppy and give her a few companions. Guppies are schooling fish and need a group to be happy.
I agree with @FishFinatic77 guppies prefer to be kept in groups.

Good luck.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back