Overstocked? Understocked?

Andypalf

Fish Fanatic
Joined
May 19, 2007
Messages
154
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I've re-homed soe fish for a friend who was desperate to get rid of them and I'm curious how this stocking sounds to you more experienced.....

125 litre, 3ft tank. It's mature, been running for over 2 years now. Using a Fluval 3Plus filter (recently switched over to BioZorb inside). The tank is planted, but not heavily, I'm currently just starting up a DIY CO2 system.

One large male Pearl Gourami (about 3.5 inches)
2 small BN plecs, had them since juvenile, now about 2.5inches (stopped growing about a year ago)
7 Harlequin Rasboras
8 Neon Tetras
6 X-Ray/Pristella Tetras
6 Red Serpae Tetras
7 Amano shrimp
Thousands of snails!!!

All the tetras and rasboras are quite young and pretty small as they go. What do you reckon?
 
I've re-homed soe fish for a friend who was desperate to get rid of them and I'm curious how this stocking sounds to you more experienced.....

125 litre, 3ft tank. It's mature, been running for over 2 years now. Using a Fluval 3Plus filter (recently switched over to BioZorb inside). The tank is planted, but not heavily, I'm currently just starting up a DIY CO2 system.

One large male Pearl Gourami (about 3.5 inches)
2 small BN plecs, had them since juvenile, now about 2.5inches (stopped growing about a year ago)
7 Harlequin Rasboras
8 Neon Tetras
6 X-Ray/Pristella Tetras
6 Red Serpae Tetras
7 Amano shrimp
Thousands of snails!!!

All the tetras and rasboras are quite young and pretty small as they go. What do you reckon?

not really sure how you "under stock". unless you have no critters. personally i would say your filter is not up to a 125ltr, especially with the stock you have. given a filter upgrade, i would suggest you are not "over stocked".
 
I'd stick an external on - the tetratec ex700 or similar.
 
Try feeding a little less. That's probably why you have so many snails.
 
Try feeding a little less. That's probably why you have so many snails.

starve the snails? and the fish too, whilst you are at it. personally i would be sceptical of that approach.
 
Snails flourish when there's excess food. A hungry fish is a healthy fish.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top