Overstocked: How Much More Space To I Need?

FishySarah

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Sep 17, 2006
Messages
167
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Ok.

I have a 29 gallon and 2 5 gallons, soon to add a 10 gallon tank

In my 29 gallon, I have following fish:

3 black longfin tetras, each 2 1/2 inches
3 gold barbs, each 2 inches
5 neons
4 platies, 1 inch each
1 young molly, about an inch
4 zebra danios
1 fully grown female guppy
10 baby guppies in a breeding trap

In my 5 gallon I have 7 sailfin molly babies- i want to keep as many of them as I can, and 2 guppies

In my other 5 gallon, I have 3 tiny comet goldfish, purchased as feeders for a crab that doesnt' want em, so I'm stuck with them

I am buying a 10 gallon

The goldfish will go in there temporarily. I'm trying to arrange giving them to a friend with a pond when they outgrow the tank. The tank will be taken up with the goldfish for some time, though.

How many more tanks/size tank do I need for the fish that I have, and how should I divide them? What are my options? I'm thinking moving the guppies into a second 10 gallon, then eventually getting a larger tank to divide up the rest. What do you think?

I need to get the minimum amount of space for the fish that I have. I'm also prepared to give up some current/future fry.
 
If not for the guppy babies, the 29 gallon is a bit heavy, but not crazy. The molly fry should be ok to grow up in about a 20 gallon (more space to allow for future fry if you want). The guppy fry would be fine in the new 10 gallon, but there's no room for fry. A better bet may be to segregate them by sex between the molly tank and the 10, or between the two 5's and put the goldfish in the 10 to make things a bit easier on them until they go in the pond. You could move the molly and guppy from the main tank with them if you want.
 
I personally wouldnt have goldfish in anything smaller than a 55G and 10G is far too small for anything longer than a week temporary imo, so I wouldnt get them if you was planning on a longer time period.
Goldfish are very messy and such a small tank with such messy fish will be a right pain in the a**e to keep the water params right!

As said the 29G is abit heavily stocked but you should be ok.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top