Overcrowding or ok?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hi Jennifer,

You could do with locking down what your Gh is for definite if you can. I purchased a api GH test kit online to test mine but you could pop a sample of your water to your LFS to get them to test it for you. Just ask for the actual unit. Most members on TFF will use PPM or gdh (parts per million/degrees german hardness )

Their is more experienced members who can explain things better for you but i think if your water is 272 to 284 ppm your water is very hard and unfortuntley it wont be best suited for soft water fish like your tetras going forward.

If you can get your Gh reading members will be able to help and advise you correctly.

Hope this helps, keep us all posted :)

I actually don't exactly know the hardness but I use tap water but I condition the water before putting it in my tank. But so far my 4 cardinal tetras and shrimp I first started with as a run after full cycling have been doing great. I looked up san Diegos water hardness and I quote this is what I found " depending upon water demand and area of the City you live can range from 16 to 18 gr/gal or 272 to 284 ppm" I don't know if that helps?

GH within that range is fairly hard as noted by Russjw.

I assume by "condition the water" you refer to using a water conditioner; these do not affect GH, KH or pH. They detoxify chlorine/chloramine, some detoxify heavy metals, a few do additional this or that (which is usually unnecessary). But the water will remain at the GH it comes out of the tap at.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back