Our Syrians, Toby And Elsa!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Hey

Pretty hamsters :) They so look too young to be weaned,especially the female, it wont hurt though, personally i never weaned babies before 5 weeks youngest and never had young pregnancies with one exception where the siblings mated at 3 weeks old because they were living together away from mum as she had abandonned them.

I would definately be making sure they are getting supplement foods like porridge (made with water and the tiniest amount of milk or juice), lactol rearing formular or jarred babyfoods (avoid the chocolate ones etc). Because other wise they just wont grow very well.

Also wanted to add that they arent cinnamon banded syrians, they are both mink banded :)

The genetic code for Cinnamon is PP and the code for Banded is Baba (can be BaBa but not normally as breeding two banded animnals is such a huge risk of getting eyeless white babies and BaBa is the code for a double gene of banded, most are single genes).

So a Cinnamon Banded would be PPBaba...

Your pair are Minks and their code is eeppU_ which when split up is (ee = cream) + (pp = cinnamon) + (U_ = Umbrous) = Mink. So to get your hamsters you would put either a Cinnamon carrying the Umbrous gene (would make them look very dusty brown, takes a good eye to spot it though) or a Sable (which is a Cream carrying the Umbrous Gene (eeU_ = sable).

So altogether the genetic code for yours would be 'eeppU_Baba'.

A very good page written by my friend, ex housemate and cobreeder when we were breeding syrians might help explain? Its an interesting read either way! :)

http://hamster.etla.org/cgi-bin/topic_show.pl?tid=1105

------

On a handling note, syrians are incredibly easy to tame, there is no such thing as an evil or untameable hamster, its just down to how well you can read their reactions.

People pansy hamsters too much, if you give them a house to live in and defened, they are prone to getting more aggressive, a big pile of bedding for a nest in the corner is far better and often preferred and easier to handle.

Dont worry about waking them up during the day, so long as they can sleep during the night, they can catch up on sleep, training them to wake up means you get a friendlier hamster that gets to come out to play which means they get less bored.

Hold the hamster and expect to get peed on at some point until their learn to hold their bladder, if you wake the hamster up, let them pee first before taking them out...

Keep them out, keep handling them until they are exhausted, they exhaust themselves easily when young and if you can let them fall asleep on you, when they wake up and realise they are ok, its almost instant taming, few more sessions and they will be soft as butter.

Hey

Pretty hamsters :) They so look too young to be weaned,especially the female, it wont hurt though, personally i never weaned babies before 5 weeks youngest and never had young pregnancies with one exception where the siblings mated at 3 weeks old because they were living together away from mum as she had abandonned them.

I would definately be making sure they are getting supplement foods like porridge (made with water and the tiniest amount of milk or juice), lactol rearing formular or jarred babyfoods (avoid the chocolate ones etc). Because other wise they just wont grow very well.

Also wanted to add that they arent cinnamon banded syrians, they are both mink banded :)

The genetic code for Cinnamon is PP and the code for Banded is Baba (can be BaBa but not normally as breeding two banded animnals is such a huge risk of getting eyeless white babies and BaBa is the code for a double gene of banded, most are single genes).

So a Cinnamon Banded would be PPBaba...

Your pair are Minks and their code is eeppU_ which when split up is (ee = cream) + (pp = cinnamon) + (U_ = Umbrous) = Mink. So to get your hamsters you would put either a Cinnamon carrying the Umbrous gene (would make them look very dusty brown, takes a good eye to spot it though) or a Sable (which is a Cream carrying the Umbrous Gene (eeU_ = sable).

So altogether the genetic code for yours would be 'eeppU_Baba'.

A very good page written by my friend, ex housemate and cobreeder when we were breeding syrians might help explain? Its an interesting read either way! :)

http://hamster.etla.org/cgi-bin/topic_show.pl?tid=1105

------

On a handling note, syrians are incredibly easy to tame, there is no such thing as an evil or untameable hamster, its just down to how well you can read their reactions.

People pansy hamsters too much, if you give them a house to live in and defened, they are prone to getting more aggressive, a big pile of bedding for a nest in the corner is far better and often preferred and easier to handle.

Dont worry about waking them up during the day, so long as they can sleep during the night, they can catch up on sleep, training them to wake up means you get a friendlier hamster that gets to come out to play which means they get less bored.

Hold the hamster and expect to get peed on at some point until their learn to hold their bladder, if you wake the hamster up, let them pee first before taking them out...

Keep them out, keep handling them until they are exhausted, they exhaust themselves easily when young and if you can let them fall asleep on you, when they wake up and realise they are ok, its almost instant taming, few more sessions and they will be soft as butter.
Thanks, interesting post. :good:

Coincidently, I have been feeding them on porridge as well as slightly crushed hamster food. They've grown a lot. Toby is the calmer out of the 2, always willing to sleep in your hand, loves to get handled, never pees or bites, he is a joy. :wub:
OTOH Elsa pees everywhere, has a habit of stabbing your hand with her lower teeth, is always moving and fidgeting about. Still love her as much though :wub:
I always take both of them out of their cages at the same time so they can play together (which they don't) and roam about the house (supervised) :D

Sounds like you are doing a great job with your babies!! :D they grow out of the habit of peeing everywhere, its like toddlers, they just need to learn control. If you catch her peeing or about to, quickly put her in her cage, count to 10 and then take her out again, she will learn that time to pee is in her cage :)

I think though you need to stop getting them out at the same time unless they are in balls (even this is risky as all my hamsters learnt to open their balls eventually). They are old enough to breed and it litterally takes the male 2 seconds and you risk her getting pregnant, at her size it would probably kill her and yer dont want that!! :)

Would love to see more photos as they grow up :D

P1040236.jpg

EDIT:That is Toby above :D

Oh, wow these babys are so pretty. Just wondering, are hamsters not aggresive towards each other? Won't they breed when they get older?

Oh, wow these babys are so pretty. Just wondering, are hamsters not aggresive towards each other? Won't they breed when they get older?
They are most of the time. And yes there is a chance they will breed and have deformed babies, hence why they have been separated

:-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-(

I am so sad.

:-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-( :-(

I peaked in her cage and I realised Elsa wasn't moving. Upon further inspection, she was cold and...dead :-(
This morning, we picked her up and she sort of squealed but she was moving. We thought, she may have been dreaming like she always did so we thought nothing of it.

We are all devastated :-(

RIP Elsa :no: :( :rip: :byebye:

She is sort of half dead. She is gasping but I see no movement. She is tilting her head back and gasping...what is going on???

EDIT:Elsa is dead :-(

We still miss ya Elsa, even though a week has passed :-( :-(

Anyway, Toby is now a big boy, look how massive he is! :)
Here he is on my aquarium:
P1040552.jpg

I'm so sorry about Elsa, wish I could help :( Toby looks so awesome there: POTM nomination!

Edit: Oh my god, I'm so sorry about Elsa! RIP Elsa :rip:

I'm so sorry about Elsa, wish I could help :( Toby looks so awesome there: POTM nomination!

Edit: Oh my god, I'm so sorry about Elsa! RIP Elsa :rip:
Cheers :)

I concluded from some sort of infection. She was not able to breathe properly and she has some 'pus' coming out of her nose.RIP Elsa :-( :rip:
Last photo of Elsa I took 5 days before her death
P1040246.jpg

I'm really sorry about Elsa :(

Toby is very adorable and sounds super friendly. I'm very sorry for your loss though.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back