Our parrot loves beer...

jaylach

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Actually I have a cockatiel which is a close cousin to a parrot or cockatoo. Alcohol is toxic to these critters and can cause severe damage to their health. This is largely due to the sugar content which is like giving a dog chocolate which is a big no-no. Take a look at the following link.

You always must research what you feed any kind of pet. For instance you may be surprised that grapes are toxic to dogs. I am SO glad that I researched before offering my cockatiel avocado as it could kill the critter in minutes.

wasmewasntit

Resident Plant Killer
Reaction score
A little of what you love does not hurt and as long as you do it in moderation, then that is absolutely fine.....

(And since @emeraldking is a moderator, he will doubtless make sure that all moderation rules are followed closely.....tween parrot hiccups of course)

Lynnzer

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Bit of a story here:
I was in British Honduras (Now called Belize) many years ago while in the army. Our camp was out in the jungle around 30 miles from Belize City.
We had a dog on camp that was always in the NAAFI scrounging booze from us. When we went to Belize itself on a weekend boozing session, it used to follow us. It waited with us at the bus stop, boarded along with us and alighted at the destination. It then went bar to bar along the city waterside street looking for squaddies.
It got right pissed before the end of the night and whover it was with before return to camp always collected it and carried back aboard.
It was no-man's dog though. No favourite squaddie, just tagged along with whoever got a drink for it, which if I remember right was usually Tiger Lager.

OP
OP
emeraldking

emeraldking

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
What sort of parrot is it @emeraldking?

My aunt's dog (cocker spaniel) used to get drunk. She had tiled floors and the guys would leave half empty beer bottles around after a late night and the dog would knock them over and lick it up. Then skate around on the tiled floor before collapsing in a heap somewhere.

I had a young pink and grey galah (cockatoo) and family was over visiting from America. My brother in law put his glass of fruit juice on the floor next to him while he was on the couch watching television. A few minute later he went to have a drink and freaked because there was something fluffy on his glass. He looked down and the pink & grey galah was drinking his fruit juice.
She's a meyers parrot. She's an African parrot.
That's a smart bird. Does he ever buy ?
Oh, she's really smart... Like most parrots are...
Actually I have a cockatiel which is a close cousin to a parrot or cockatoo. Alcohol is toxic to these critters and can cause severe damage to their health. This is largely due to the sugar content which is like giving a dog chocolate which is a big no-no. Take a look at the following link.

You always must research what you feed any kind of pet. For instance you may be surprised that grapes are toxic to dogs. I am SO glad that I researched before offering my cockatiel avocado as it could kill the critter in minutes.
I do understand your concern. But no worries in this case... But it's a good thing that you've posted this as well.

WhistlingBadger

Extremely Moderate
Staff member
Global Moderator
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
Just don't let her drive. Parrots are garbage at driving when they've been drinking.

jaylach

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I'm sorry but I have to put one more post here. After this I will just refrain. Even if in small quantities alcohol is VERY toxic to birds. It may seem funny and cute but you are killing your animal. Pets are a responsibility, not a toy.

Most reactions

trending

Members online