Our parrot loves beer...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Actually I have a cockatiel which is a close cousin to a parrot or cockatoo. Alcohol is toxic to these critters and can cause severe damage to their health. This is largely due to the sugar content which is like giving a dog chocolate which is a big no-no. Take a look at the following link.

You always must research what you feed any kind of pet. For instance you may be surprised that grapes are toxic to dogs. I am SO glad that I researched before offering my cockatiel avocado as it could kill the critter in minutes.

A little of what you love does not hurt and as long as you do it in moderation, then that is absolutely fine.....

(And since @emeraldking is a moderator, he will doubtless make sure that all moderation rules are followed closely.....tween parrot hiccups of course)

Bit of a story here:
I was in British Honduras (Now called Belize) many years ago while in the army. Our camp was out in the jungle around 30 miles from Belize City.
We had a dog on camp that was always in the NAAFI scrounging booze from us. When we went to Belize itself on a weekend boozing session, it used to follow us. It waited with us at the bus stop, boarded along with us and alighted at the destination. It then went bar to bar along the city waterside street looking for squaddies.
It got right pissed before the end of the night and whover it was with before return to camp always collected it and carried back aboard.
It was no-man's dog though. No favourite squaddie, just tagged along with whoever got a drink for it, which if I remember right was usually Tiger Lager.

What sort of parrot is it @emeraldking?

My aunt's dog (cocker spaniel) used to get drunk. She had tiled floors and the guys would leave half empty beer bottles around after a late night and the dog would knock them over and lick it up. Then skate around on the tiled floor before collapsing in a heap somewhere.

I had a young pink and grey galah (cockatoo) and family was over visiting from America. My brother in law put his glass of fruit juice on the floor next to him while he was on the couch watching television. A few minute later he went to have a drink and freaked because there was something fluffy on his glass. He looked down and the pink & grey galah was drinking his fruit juice.
She's a meyers parrot. She's an African parrot.
That's a smart bird. Does he ever buy ?
Oh, she's really smart... Like most parrots are...
Actually I have a cockatiel which is a close cousin to a parrot or cockatoo. Alcohol is toxic to these critters and can cause severe damage to their health. This is largely due to the sugar content which is like giving a dog chocolate which is a big no-no. Take a look at the following link.

You always must research what you feed any kind of pet. For instance you may be surprised that grapes are toxic to dogs. I am SO glad that I researched before offering my cockatiel avocado as it could kill the critter in minutes.
I do understand your concern. But no worries in this case... But it's a good thing that you've posted this as well.

I'm sorry but I have to put one more post here. After this I will just refrain. Even if in small quantities alcohol is VERY toxic to birds. It may seem funny and cute but you are killing your animal. Pets are a responsibility, not a toy.

Has he tried nonalcoholic beverages like fruit (fresh fruit juice)? Last time I checked the books said flying well under the influence is illegal and pretty unhealthy.
Oh, yes... But she's picky... She won't drink all kinds of drinks...

My bird is a cockatiel and things are a bit different as to what they can safely consume but similar in relation to parrots. For instance NEVER give avocado to either as it can kill them in a heart beat. Does not always immediately kill but will shorten the life span at best.

While I've read MANY articles in relation to alcohol and birds ALL seem to agree that it should NEVER be done. One of the main issues is the high sugar content. Hook billed birds (and most others) do not tolerate concentrated sugar, it is, to them, a toxin. The sugar seems to disrupt the functions of internal organs such as the kidneys.

Not ALL sugars are that bad. For instance a few raisins once or twice a week is OK as it is a natural sugar where alcohol is not. Still, even with natural sugars, they should be given in extreme moderation.

As I've said before one should consider a 'pet' a responsibility rather than a privilege. I NEVER offer my cockatiel a new food without researching as to if it is safe.

If you REALLY care about your bird look at the following link on a search as to if beer is OK for a parrot. It just isn't and WILL kill the critter over time.

Your bird and all this is up to you but, if you really love the beastie, quit feeding poison. Let's see..... Give your bird the beer but also give yourself arsenic at the same time in the same weight proportion as to body weight. I doubt that you would do that so why do you do it to your bird? I don't often get aggressive here but I have no choice here as you are literally feeding your bird poison. That is just wrong.

BTW, A parrot or cockatiel may also enjoy sharing your morning coffee. The caffeine is almost as bad as alcohol.

PLEASE, anyone willing to listen, please always research what is safe for your beastie to eat. I mean who would imagine that grapes are toxic to dogs yet they are.

As I've often said having a pet is a responsibility not a privilege. You accept such a critter in to your home which means that it is totally reliant on what you do. If you are not willing to do what the critter needs to thrive then you should have never gotten the critter. Nor should you EVER satisfy your personal 'humor' by feeding such things as alcohol.

Last edited:
My bird is a cockatiel and things are a bit different as to what they can safely consume but similar in relation to parrots. For instance NEVER give avocado to either as it can kill them in a heart beat. Does not always immediately kill but will shorten the life span at best.

While I've read MANY articles in relation to alcohol and birds ALL seem to agree that it should NEVER be done. One of the main issues is the high sugar content. Hook billed birds (and most others) do not tolerate concentrated sugar, it is, to them, a toxin. The sugar seems to disrupt the functions of internal organs such as the kidneys.

Not ALL sugars are that bad. For instance a few raisins once or twice a week is OK as it is a natural sugar where alcohol is not. Still, even with natural sugars, they should be given in extreme moderation.

As I've said before one should consider a 'pet' a responsibility rather than a privilege. I NEVER offer my cockatiel a new food without researching as to if it is safe.

If you REALLY care about your bird look at the following link on a search as to if beer is OK for a parrot. It just isn't and WILL kill the critter over time.

Your bird and all this is up to you but, if you really love the beastie, quit feeding poison. Let's see..... Give your bird the beer but also give yourself arsenic at the same time in the same weight proportion as to body weight. I doubt that you would do that so why do you do it to your bird? I don't often get aggressive here but I have no choice here as you are literally feeding your bird poison. That is just wrong.

BTW, A parrot or cockatiel may also enjoy sharing your morning coffee. The caffeine is almost as bad as alcohol.

PLEASE, anyone willing to listen, please always research what is safe for your beastie to eat. I mean who would imagine that grapes are toxic to dogs yet they are.

As I've often said having a pet is a responsibility not a privilege. You accept such a critter in to your home which means that it is totally reliant on what you do. If you are not willing to do what the critter needs to thrive then you should have never gotten the critter. Nor should you EVER satisfy your personal 'humor' by feeding such things as alcohol.
We all get your point. We appreciate your message overhere. But don't think that we are deliberately poisoning our pets (whatever animal that might be). But we do understand your overconcern.

So, your call for anyone to listen is absolutely heard by us... I've been an animal lover all my life.

If you read EK's original post, he isn't "giving his bird a beer." The bird is licking up what's in between the threads of the bottle, getting maybe a drop at the most. Not enough to be toxic. Chocolate is toxic to dogs, but if my 80 pound lab eats a chocolate chip, it won't hurt a thing. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back