Our 125gal Tank

tanks looking great now you have got some more height in there. Your patience has paid off :D And i see little algae too, have you overcome the problem?

I dunno if it's been overcome as in, I myself got it under control. I think the pleco and the snails to a lesser extent are the ones keeping it down now. There is still some algae on the tank walls & still some brown algae on rocks and tank filter parts that I'm not even bothing to clean off now so the pleco has something to munch :)

1 of the newer loaches that we got died :(
I noticed yesterday that it didn't look right, but wasn't sure what to do.
I mean I had noticed before that it wasn't growing like the other one, but didn't think much of it b/c some of the other loaches were growing faster than the rest and just figured that's what was going on here.
But then I noticed that it wasn't swimming around like it usually did, saw it resting on a leaf in the back of the tank. I didn't want to take it out b/c I knew that stress wasn't going to be good for it.
Decided that I was going to get it out today, but couldn't find it. Then finally did :( Poor little thing.
I just hope that whatever was wrong with it wasn't passed on to the other fish.
I'm afraid it may have had an internal parasite or something. Gonna be watching the tank like a hawk.

Where are you getting your loaches from? You've lost a few haven't you?

Well the first batch of loaches we got was from our local Petsmart. They all had whitespot and ended up dying.

We then went across town to another Petsmart, and their loaches were great. So we got 6 of them, and they were doing fine for a while. But then 1 of the bigger ones died for some unknown reason. So we went back to that one and got 2 more, and 1 of the new ones just died.
So in total, we've had 8 clowns die :(

I'm worried that if it was some internal parasite that killed this last one, that it may have infected the other fish.
Some of the loaches aren't as plump as the others and it's worrying me. But I'm not sure if I'm overreacting or what... so right now I'm just watching.

Well the first batch of loaches we got was from our local Petsmart. They all had whitespot and ended up dying.

We then went across town to another Petsmart, and their loaches were great. So we got 6 of them, and they were doing fine for a while. But then 1 of the bigger ones died for some unknown reason. So we went back to that one and got 2 more, and 1 of the new ones just died.
So in total, we've had 8 clowns die :(

I'm worried that if it was some internal parasite that killed this last one, that it may have infected the other fish.
Some of the loaches aren't as plump as the others and it's worrying me. But I'm not sure if I'm overreacting or what... so right now I'm just watching.

If I remember correctly from when I worked there, PetSmart uses the same source for all of its fish. I would rethink purchasing clown loaches from them in the future. It is hard sometimes to get a school going. Are you married to clowns? I can think of a ton of other loaches that are very good too and I can direct you to a very good online source. Drs. Fosters and Smith live fish site and the wetspot sell clowns online.

llj

Well we tryed the LFS, b/c they've had some big healthy looking clowns before, but the quality of their freshwater fish has gone down a great deal. And all of theirs had ich.
*shrugs* I'm set on having clowns. Wanted them ever since we got our first tank and I started looking in to getting fish heh. Hoping the remaining ones are going to be ok. They're all pretty active atm, but still watching them to make sure everything is ok.

Well we tryed the LFS, b/c they've had some big healthy looking clowns before, but the quality of their freshwater fish has gone down a great deal. And all of theirs had ich.
*shrugs* I'm set on having clowns. Wanted them ever since we got our first tank and I started looking in to getting fish heh. Hoping the remaining ones are going to be ok. They're all pretty active atm, but still watching them to make sure everything is ok.

I would consider an online source then. Have you looked at aquabid?

Yeah I've looked at a couple places. I'm so paranoid about getting them online. I like seeing what I'm buying, specially with fish, with my own eyes. Plus I don't want to put fish through the whole shipping process. B/c you just don't know how well they're gonna take it. NM how expensive it is to ship them.
SIGH!
We still have 6 loaches... plus they still swim with the tiger barbs as well, so it's alright so far :)

Yeah I've looked at a couple places. I'm so paranoid about getting them online. I like seeing what I'm buying, specially with fish, with my own eyes. Plus I don't want to put fish through the whole shipping process. B/c you just don't know how well they're gonna take it. NM how expensive it is to ship them.
SIGH!
We still have 6 loaches... plus they still swim with the tiger barbs as well, so it's alright so far :)

I was scared at first too, but one day you have to take the plunge. I felt much better after I received Alberich over the mail and have been fine with mailorder fish ever since. I am pretty loyal, though. Once I find a site I like, I tend to stick with them, so now I know the owners very well. Miami mail is very terrible, so if the fish can arrive live here, they can arrive alive anywhere.

llj

Maybe one day we'll take the plunge and get some fish online, but not right now heh.

I swear, we're going to lose more peppered cory. I don't know why but they keep going to the surface for air or something (none of the other cories do this, none of the fish gasp or anything, they just seem to do it for the heck of it)...
Found 1 of the cories stuck in the floating island earlier. It wasn't too bad b/c there was still room for it to swim away, it just hadn't yet.
And I checked on the tank about 30mins ago, and found TWO more trapped in the island! Seriously... WTH catfish?? Stop it already!

Ok just checked and I think a peppered cory is dying. Saw it in the back corner against the wall swimming up towards the top, then it rested on its side on the heater.
WTH.. I hope it's not something contagious... sigh.

cories will often dash to the surface for air and zoom back down to the bottom. hope your little guy is ok.

cories will often dash to the surface for air and zoom back down to the bottom. hope your little guy is ok.

I hope so too.
I had to take the 3 smaller pepper cory out of the tank. I don't know what's wrong with them, but they were purposely trying to get themselves stuck up in the island of plants.
They look ok, but they're acting very strangely. Not going to put them back in to the tank until I can trim the island down a lot.
I might try treating them w/ some internal parasite stuff. Not sure if that would even cause them to act the way they did, but *shrugs* That one loach that died has me so worried.

Woot! Say byebye to plant island! Left just a little bit in there, but bagged up the rest. Almost filled up a gallon size ziplock bag. Husband's mother was supposed to come by and pick it up, but nooooooo... so annoying.
Also took out most of the hornwort in our 29gallon. Good GOD was there a ton of it! Had to shake it a bit though to make sure there weren't any little platy fry stuck to it heh. Now that stuck took up an entire gallon size bag. Just... wow. I didn't realize how much of it there was.

Most reactions

Back