Ottocinclus

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Oto's are not particularly active fish and don't grow very big so I reckon that would be OK but get a small group not just one or two. Betta experts will have more to say on that.

Well, you can keep otos in a 10 gal but i would not really advise it as they are social fish as they shoal in their hundreds if not thousands in their natural habitats. I'd prefer at least 15+ gal tanks to have a small group of at least 6 of these guys.

They do need algae to feed on, green spot and diatoms seem to be the preferred food of choice for otos, and i have heard of the occassional oto feeeding on algae wafers and courgettes.
An established tank that has been running for some time with algae and perhaps sunlight on one side of the tank to grow green spot algae may be an option.

A lot of these otos in LFS are wild caught and can be difficult to feed as they come from algae infested waters usually.

I have heard all too often of many keepers unsuccessfully keeping otos for any real length of time
sad.png

PFK - Keeping Otocinclus catfish in the aquarium

SF - Otocinclus

A neat little vid about wild caught otos - Collecting Otocinclus affinis in their natural habitat

I agree with Ch4rlie on all points.  And, beyond that, Betta really are not community fish and while some may have success (which may sometimes not last all that long) with Betta in a community tank, they are still best alone.

Byron.

While you "technically" can keep otos in a 10 gallon with a betta, you shouldn't.  Otos really need groups of at least 6 individuals and even though they have a low bioload and are not as active as a lot of other fish, to support a decent group the tank needs to be around 20 gallons.  Otos also almost require a well established tank that has been up and running for at least 6 months so that it can grow the biofilm and algae that they need since most of them will not accept foods other than algae. 
And then you have to take into factor the betta. Most bettas don't have issues with otos, however since bettas are so different it is impossible to tell beforehand if they would be a good match or a possible murder suspect.  

Wow 

Ch4rlie said:
Well, you can keep otos in a 10 gal but i would not really advise it as they are social fish as they shoal in their hundreds if not thousands in their natural habitats. I'd prefer at least 15+ gal tanks to have a small group of at least 6 of these guys.

Wildbetta said:
Otos really need groups of at least 6 individuals 
At this rate im probably done with this option of getting ottocinclus. Didn't realize that they needed groups of 6, i reckoned they get territorial and live alone like other plecos.

Goggy said:
Wow 

Wildbetta said:
At this rate im probably done with this option of getting ottocinclus. Didn't realize that they needed groups of 6, i reckoned they get territorial and live alone like other plecos.

Goggy said:
Wow 

Wildbetta said:

That is why research from good sources BEFORE getting fish is so important.   ;)

I have Ottos and Panda Cories in with my Betta.  They're perfectly fine together but then maybe I've been lucky enough to get a happy chilled out Betta :)

Far_King said:
I have Ottos and Panda Cories in with my Betta.  They're perfectly fine together but then maybe I've been lucky enough to get a happy chilled out Betta
smile.png

Hopefully not all in a tank as small as a 10 gallon.  However I am not surprised to see this working out since bettas tend to be a little more relaxed with fish such as otos and cories.  It still is a risk though when a person does not know how their betta will react to other fish.

No, I have them in an 18 Gallon.   I just meant they can co-exist happily if you're lucky with the Betta.  Ottocinculus are tremendous little fish.

Far_King said:
No, I have them in an 18 Gallon.   I just meant they can co-exist happily if you're lucky with the Betta.  Ottocinculus are tremendous little fish.

True, but that is just the point--"if you're lucky" as you put it.

I prefer to accept that a given species will probably be "normal" in its temperament and behaviours, and plan accordingly.  Taking the "normal" attitude of a male Betta, it is best to have it in its own aquarium, without other fish.  As soon as you put it in a community setting with other fish, you are stepping into the risk zone.  If the Betta does not, for whatever reason, behave normally, it may work; but in the majority of cases the fish will presumably be normal and it will not.  Sometimes things may be OK initially, but as the Betta ages, or as it becomes more settled, its natural behaviours begin to show.  It is always a risk, and if the aquarist does not want to take risks with the fish, it is best to assume the "normal" and keep it on its own.  This is only fair to the fish.

Byron.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back