Otos Gulping Air At Surface

celaeno

Arkangel
Joined
Apr 5, 2006
Messages
1,217
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
NY, USA
i recently raised the water level in the tank and noticed that the otos are actually swimming around everywhere now instead of hiding behind the vertical filter intake and heater like they've always used to during the day.

the smaller ones also go up to the surface to gulp air every now and then, something i've never seen before i raised the water level.

is this anything to worry about?
 
Did you raise the filter as you raised the water level? If not then there may not be enough surface agitation to give sufficient gas exchange. This would cause oxygen levels to drop and explain why they were gulping air.
 
I know that it's normal behaviour for Cory's to shoot to the surface and back down again every once in a while, but not sure about Oto's. I don't think I've seen mine do that yet.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top