Otocinclus

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Otoshrimp

Reaction score
Hi. I am new to fishkeeping. I got my 54 l tank in mid-May. I got 6 otocinclus on the 28th May and they have bred! Many fry.
Any advice about what to do next?
I use our own water from our private supply which has a pH 7.2. I have plenty of weed in the tank. Catappa leaves. Varied substrate with sandy areas and more gravelly areas. Sponge filter. Good airator. Temperature set to 24 but sensor reading usually 23. I have neocaridina shrimps which have also bred.

You may be able to sell these to a local fish store. The store will likely appreciate locally-bred otos because they will likely have a better chance of surviving than the wild caught otos; you will presumably have them weaned on sinking algae/kelp-based disks.

Omega One Veggie Rounds are ideal, I found my Farlowella and oto fry (mine spawned unknown to me in a very thickly planted tank) quickly learned these disks were food. Dried leaves (like your catappa, you can also use hard wood (oak, maple, beech, etc) dried leaves that have fallen from the tree as in autumn and are thoroughly dead dry) are also highly recommended as they produce infusoria and fry will develop faster with this food.

You may be able to sell these to a local fish store. The store will likely appreciate locally-bred otos because they will likely have a better chance of surviving than the wild caught otos; you will presumably have them weaned on sinking algae/kelp-based disks.

Omega One Veggie Rounds are ideal, I found my Farlowella and oto fry (mine spawned unknown to me in a very thickly planted tank) quickly learned these disks were food. Dried leaves (like your catappa, you can also use hard wood (oak, maple, beech, etc) dried leaves that have fallen from the tree as in autumn and are thoroughly dead dry) are also highly recommended as they produce infusoria and fry will develop faster with this food.
Thank you. That is really helpful
Liz

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back