Oto Cats And New Plants!

Sounds like a pond snail, but, yeah, the description isn't great. You can look through the snail species list in the invertebrate section.

I've got ramshorn and trumpet snails that came in as hitchikers, and they haven't caused any problem. They make a better cleanup crew than any fish, and after an initial explosion of ramshorns, the population has been easy to control. The population tends to match the food supply, so if there's excess food or a dying plant around, you'll get more of them. It's a good sign something is wrong, usually overfeeding. I also have nerite, trapdoor, and apple snails, but none of them are breeding successfully.

When I think there's too many snails, I just take out any that stay on the nightly zucchini I feed my otos. You can also crunch them on the glass with a fork. Fish enjoy the treat.

Pond snails I don't like - I used to have them, and I think I've wiped them out now. They did little damage while I had them, but they reproduced like mad if I so much as breathed on the tank. I swear one extra flake of uneaten food and I'd have a thousand of them the next day. If that's what it was, it's probably best to get rid of it.

Most loaches will eat snails. not sure what size your tank is, but some zebra loaches might be suitable to pick off excess snails. They might never wipe them out, but you might not want them to.
 
what size tank are they in??? you dont want the snails m8 as you have nothing in there that will eat them! they are a pest


20 gallon tank. I have been looking and I dont see any snails. But they could be hiding. I will keep everyone updated lol
put some veg in for the ottos and also put a piece on the floor of the tank and turn out the lights, u might find them on it in the morn or in an hour


What kind of veg? like you mean vegetables right?
for the ottos you will need to put vegtables in. i use zuccini or corgette as it is also known. i cut a lump off and thread some fishing wite through the middle of it and also attach a plant weight, then attach the fishing line to the ooutside of the tank with some masking tape. this enables the zuccini to sink a couple of inches down but not right to the bottom where my shrimps would get it. so the catfish get a good feed. i also completely sink another piece for the shrimps. but try loads of dif veg such as cucumber and brussels. HTH
 
for the ottos you will need to put vegtables in. i use zuccini or corgette as it is also known. i cut a lump off and thread some fishing wite through the middle of it and also attach a plant weight, then attach the fishing line to the ooutside of the tank with some masking tape. this enables the zuccini to sink a couple of inches down but not right to the bottom where my shrimps would get it. so the catfish get a good feed. i also completely sink another piece for the shrimps. but try loads of dif veg such as cucumber and brussels. HTH


Oh really? OK... Will the algae in the tank not be enough? I also bought algae wafers... that not as good either? How often do you feed them the vegetables?

Oh, I put a piece of lettuce in last night, at the bottom of the tank. this morning there was nothing on it. But that does not mean some snail eggs are not in there. lol. I am hoping there are not any, but never know. :P

Thanks for the advice on all this! :D Really appreciate it!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top