Oto Cats And New Plants!

Cantbesaved

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Aug 19, 2008
Messages
146
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Went to the LFS today and got me 2 Oto cats :D I also got a couple plants! Here are some pics. My neons love the new plants already!! hehe

IMG_1713.jpg


And the cats are just sitting there, doing nothing... probably still calming down from the intro. :)

IMG_1710.jpg


I have a question though... I put the plants in, and then went to throw the bag in the garbage, and there was a snail in the bag, I guess he had fallen off the plant in the bag... If I got snails in my tank, is that bad? Or will they be OK? I just dont wanna mess it all up. I dont think any chunks went in the tank, but maybe 1 got in...
 
You are bound to get some snails with new plants I'm afraid. Their part of the territory and its pretty much unavoidable. As long as there is very little for them to feed on ie. left over food or decaying plants they won't grow to epidemic proportions but they are very hard to get rid of once you have them. Learn to love them I say.

:good:
 
OK cool. so if I do see them growing, just take em out then I guess? sounds good. thanks much!
 
what do you have in the tank apart from ottos?
 
You are bound to get some snails with new plants I'm afraid. Their part of the territory and its pretty much unavoidable. As long as there is very little for them to feed on ie. left over food or decaying plants they won't grow to epidemic proportions but they are very hard to get rid of once you have them. Learn to love them I say.

:good:

you can wash plants under the tap to get rid of snails and snail eggs before you put them in your tank
 
what size tank are they in??? you dont want the snails m8 as you have nothing in there that will eat them! they are a pest
 
what size tank are they in??? you dont want the snails m8 as you have nothing in there that will eat them! they are a pest


20 gallon tank. I have been looking and I dont see any snails. But they could be hiding. I will keep everyone updated lol
 
what size tank are they in??? you dont want the snails m8 as you have nothing in there that will eat them! they are a pest


20 gallon tank. I have been looking and I dont see any snails. But they could be hiding. I will keep everyone updated lol
put some veg in for the ottos and also put a piece on the floor of the tank and turn out the lights, u might find them on it in the morn or in an hour
 
theres nothing wrong with a few snails, just make sure you dont have a population explosion (Hard to avoid though)
 
my point exactly you will get loads of the blighters. and then you are stuck becuase you either kill the sanils with chemiclas or get something to eat them.
 
what size tank are they in??? you dont want the snails m8 as you have nothing in there that will eat them! they are a pest


20 gallon tank. I have been looking and I dont see any snails. But they could be hiding. I will keep everyone updated lol
put some veg in for the ottos and also put a piece on the floor of the tank and turn out the lights, u might find them on it in the morn or in an hour


What kind of veg? like you mean vegetables right?
 
First of all, what did the snail look like?

There are different types of snails, Malaysian trumpet snails are sometimes considered beneficial, while common pond snails are considered a pesky annoyance. IMO there really isn't any reason to obliterate them from your tank... if the population starts to be a problem, I believe a common suggestion is to put a piece of lettuce in overnight, and when a bunch of snails have crawled onto it...pull them out.
 
First of all, what did the snail look like?

There are different types of snails, Malaysian trumpet snails are sometimes considered beneficial, while common pond snails are considered a pesky annoyance. IMO there really isn't any reason to obliterate them from your tank... if the population starts to be a problem, I believe a common suggestion is to put a piece of lettuce in overnight, and when a bunch of snails have crawled onto it...pull them out.


Well, it was a VERY VERY tiny snail, I thought it was a little pebble from the plant roots (There were pebbles in there). it was in a roundish-cone shell (not a long thin cone, like the pics of malaysian snails I checked up on google), and dark brown in colour, but somewhat transparent (so translucent you could say). I saw the snail come out and start moving the little pebbles around in the bag, trying to eat I guess. it was light brown/yellowish itself.

To me, that describes most snails, but I hope it helps! LOL :P
 

Most reactions

Back
Top