Other hobbies

So, what's on your radar for future pursuits? I ask because it's the same for me. I'm always picking up new skills and trying new stuff. Many I dabble in for a while and then let go, like jujitsu, genealogy, and stone carving; others sort of capture me and become part of normal life, like building bows and drinking really good tea. Right now I'm kind of into bark tanning hides, and I suspect that's going to be one that sticks, just because working with leather is so relaxing and useful. Besides, if I'm going to kill an animal, I like to use as much of it as possible.

Somewhere down the road, I'm thinking about building an Otzi-style backpack. And when I retire, I really want to learn legit carpentry (not just pounding together stuff that works but looks like crud), maybe even cabinetry. That would be a wonderful skill set to develop. And I want to try making a pow-wow drum for a Shoshoni-Arapaho friend. Maybe learn to make my own instruments some day. And learn to hunt predators, especially coyotes and bears. I wouldn't mind becoming an expert in primitive shelters and cob building. Then there are those two ideas for novels that have been kicking around in my head for several years...

Don't know if I'll get to half of that before I die, but I'll have some fun in the mean time. ha ha!
I would imagine making instruments is crazy hard- that would be impressive. Carpentry would be nice, but I don't have the room for any of the tools anymore- and for me it's probably more of the thing where I love the smell of wood shavings on the floor and the finished product, but not sure I have the patience for learning it.

I have always thought I'd like to learn how to whittle, though- I've never investigated whether you can find kits or decent instructions online. It always seemed like something you'd have to learn from your grandfather or uncle.

I bet there are a lot of folks raising chickens & other smaller animals that would pay you to learn to shoot coyotes. I would imagine it's about like deer hunting, or do you have to track them? Then again, there are different ways to hunt deer- my brothers use deer stands, but down in S GA they run dogs through the woods and sit along the edge w shotguns. Deer are smaller down there, they run them too much I guess LOL.

I'm going to get a bicycle in a couple of months. I've changed the stationary bike downstairs from being storage and a dust magnet into it's original purpose and am starting to get acclimated to the seat and the lean.

I'm also going to order a crochet hook and some yarn and make something simple.

And- in the back of my head is the banjo I put down a few years ago in the closet downstairs. My youngest is now learning to play, so I'm thinking I might pick it back up- I didn't get that far along the first time, but who knows?

Aquariums are my main hobby but I am also majorly obsessed with bonsai, making model kits, cars repairing mine and driving them and football as I am an avid lifelong fan of manchester united
Bonsai! I have bought have my relatives kits for growing bonsai trees. Maybe I'm trying to tell myself something lol.

@MuddyWaters I played the clarinet in grade school and quit after a while . To this day that’s one of my regrets . If you pick up that banjo again you might like it more than you did the first time . Don’t play it down by that river though . You’ll scare people to Kingdom come .

I have always thought I'd like to learn how to whittle, though- I've never investigated whether you can find kits or decent instructions online. It always seemed like something you'd have to learn from your grandfather or uncle.
You may find the following of interest. :)

Every night at 8:00 PM the Beverly Hillbillies is on channel 14 . Jed Clampett gives a whittling demonstration on almost every episode . But seriously I think whittling is just one of those spur of the moment free form things like singing in the shower and there’s no right or wrong way to do it .
I love the Beverly hillbillies. Great show

Green Acres is a hard show to understand . On first viewing you might think it’s a reverse of The Beverly Hillbillies with city folks in the country like fish out of water but it’s really about Oliver Wendell Douglas being trapped in a bizarre alternate reality where the absurd is normal to everyone but him . Talking pigs that can be understood by even Oliver’s wife Lisa and a County Agent that keeps his government job despite his ineptitude . Wait , maybe that’s the only thing that’s not so far fetched . Mr. Haney whose first name is Charleton (very clever there - Charleton / charlatan) has a nephew on the Highway Patrol named Heston and the Hooterville phone company seriously needs some Public Service Commission intervention . This show is very interesting .

Green Acres is a hard show to understand . On first viewing you might think it’s a reverse of The Beverly Hillbillies with city folks in the country like fish out of water but it’s really about Oliver Wendell Douglas being trapped in a bizarre alternate reality where the absurd is normal to everyone but him . Talking pigs that can be understood by even Oliver’s wife Lisa and a County Agent that keeps his government job despite his ineptitude . Wait , maybe that’s the only thing that’s not so far fetched . Mr. Haney whose first name is Charleton (very clever there - Charleton / charlatan) has a nephew on the Highway Patrol named Heston and the Hooterville phone company seriously needs some Public Service Commission intervention . This show is very interesting .
And then there was "Petticoat Junction". I actually rather enjoyed that show mostly due to the train engineer.

Just as a sort of thought I have several streaming services that I use and cable with a whole bunch of channels. Yet I really think there just may have been more 'quality' shows to watch when I just had a set of rabbit ear antenna on top of my TV and had like 7-8 channels.

I don't like old TV, although it's interesting that when I was a kid I laughed at Granny Clampett's character, and now she could be a pundit on some news channels.
I went for a drive yesterday, along the small coastal loops here. The Bay tends to be muddy with poor visibility, as we have the highest tides in the world here. The main bay gets serious water changes every day, and is always disturbed.

But up along two peninsulas, I found a string of small sheltered bays with heavily pebbled bottoms covering the mud. The water was crystal clear. I think that once I've done a few freshwater paddles to get back in the groove, I'm going to try renting a sea kayak and going out along those lobster harbours. Tourism for that isn't well developed, so the seals are apparently still quite curious, and will pop up and study you.

Most days once summer is moving along, we get at least one cruise ship a day, sailing past the house and into the nearby port (1 km away). We've had as many as three a day. I don't think anyone has built a shore excursion around those picturesque clear water harbours. There's a bit of a current and the operators would probably spend the whole budget rescuing out of shape paddlers who shouldn't have gone out. So I think I'll add staring into the sea to my staring into the rivers pastime. There be creatures unseen by me...

I don't like old TV, although it's interesting that when I was a kid I laughed at Granny Clampett's character, and now she could be a pundit on some news channels.
I went for a drive yesterday, along the small coastal loops here. The Bay tends to be muddy with poor visibility, as we have the highest tides in the world here. The main bay gets serious water changes every day, and is always disturbed.

But up along two peninsulas, I found a string of small sheltered bays with heavily pebbled bottoms covering the mud. The water was crystal clear. I think that once I've done a few freshwater paddles to get back in the groove, I'm going to try renting a sea kayak and going out along those lobster harbours. Tourism for that isn't well developed, so the seals are apparently still quite curious, and will pop up and study you.

Most days once summer is moving along, we get at least one cruise ship a day, sailing past the house and into the nearby port (1 km away). We've had as many as three a day. I don't think anyone has built a shore excursion around those picturesque clear water harbours. There's a bit of a current and the operators would probably spend the whole budget rescuing out of shape paddlers who shouldn't have gone out. So I think I'll add staring into the sea to my staring into the rivers pastime. There be creatures unseen by me...
Gary , are you up by that bay that has the massive tide ? The one that when it goes in and out it’s a mile or more ? Can you hear the water moving ? If that’s the place I’m thinking of that’s unique in all the world .

I am there. It is very cool to see. A couple of weeks ago, Mabel the dog and I took a walk at low tide, and by high tide a few hours later, where we'd been was under deep water way offshore.
I'm looking out my window at the Bay of Fundy.
I only hear the water if the wind is up at high tide. Sometimes the dog and I stand and listen to the surf. My neighbours have their bedroom window facing the sea, and say they love listening to the surf.

If you like maps, I'm on the edge of Saint John NB.

Most reactions

Back