Osphronemus Goramy

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Shelly_Otterkin

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Has any one ever keeped one of these gaints? I was at a fish store out of town and they had a monster there in a demo tank. I have a 100gal that needs some TLC and a stand out in the barn and I am really thinking. :drool: Does anyone know the growth rate of this fish? I know they get to be 20+years. I would like to put it in the tank with 5 clown loaches that I know of that have out grown there tank gere in town. Also can the tank be planted? This may not happen for a couple months to a year. At this time I am just figuring out what I need to know about the breed.

giant gouramis get FAR too big for a 100 gallon tank, a pond is really is the only option unless your a millionaire. They grow to 28 inches! and a planted tank is also out of the question as they LOVE greens, all an i mean ALL greens will be eaten. Their diet consists of mostly greens and fruits supplemented with meaty foods. These guys are huge eaters so Filtration has to be massive, multiple wet/drys, canisters, and fluidized bed filters. I also love giant gouramis, but I know it will just be impossible to keep one. Too bad though, theyre my favorite fish! :(

I am right now working out the price to build a 200gal square tank. I called the store where I saw the one and they filled me in with what I would need. Mind you this is a pipe dream, I may or may not ever get one.

even a 200 gallon tank is not at all sufficient, id say a bare minimum of 400 gallons. I know what you mean, i always imagine someone getting enough money to buy a setup large enough for one. Too bad there isnt a dwarf species :lol:

even a 200 gallon tank is not at all sufficient, id say a bare minimum of 400 gallons. I know what you mean, i always imagine someone getting enough money to buy a setup large enough for one. Too bad there isnt a dwarf species :lol:

Dwarf giant gourmis, excellent oxymoron. They only get to be 20 inches long. :rolleyes:

Next thing you know, I'll be asking for Giant Dwarf gouramis, they'll get to be 5 inches long. :rolleyes:

Giant gouramis are a cool fish, I think the locals eat them. I have a picture of a juvenil. It was like 14 inches long. They make oscars look small.

The one at the store was soild black and named Moby Dick 2, Moby Dick 1 had lived over 20 years there. The sign on the tank said that he liked to touch noses, and when I tried it it swam right up to me and went nose to nose as long as I would stay there. The workers call it Moby Pig! It will eat any thing put in its tank but loves cooked carots.

hehehe
i have a giant gourami :D
its still a juvenile and its already around 10"
i think a 200 gal is big enough for a giant gourami
a lot of people tell me my tank is not big enough too but i have seen a lot of gouramis and the tanks they are in dont come close to my tank
i think a 200 gal should be a good size for it
they do eat a lot, but you dont need tat crazy of a filter for it, all you need is a 4 layered canister filter and a good powerhead in your tank, its good to go. i recommend the Jebo 828 filter for the job :nod: :nod:

hehehe
i have a giant gourami :D
its still a juvenile and its already around 10"
i think a 200 gal is big enough for a giant gourami
a lot of people tell me my tank is not big enough too but i have seen a lot of gouramis and the tanks they are in dont come close to my tank
i think a 200 gal should be a good size for it
they do eat a lot, but you dont need tat crazy of a filter for it, all you need is a 4 layered canister filter and a good powerhead in your tank, its good to go. i recommend the Jebo 828 filter for the job :nod: :nod:
One of those filters is about the recommended size to keep one adult Oscar -about the size your fish is now. As an adult you'll be looking at four of those filters.
Don't you think "a lot of people tell me my tank is not big enough" might give you an inkling that you are mistaken - but then a lot of people still keep goldfish in bowls & I assume you think that is ok too?

if i need a bigger tank, i will get one later on when the time comes
if i need for filtration, i can always get a pond filter
its all good

i would say 200 gallons is plenty of r GG i have a 14 inch specimen myself it is the common and a really nice fish i keep mine in my oscar tank and thats about 240 gallons. admitedly it has good filtration and 'alf' will get huge in a few years and at that point i hope to have built a nice 10x3x3 tank for him and the oscars.

Most reactions

Back