oscars and convicts.

Thank's guy's...........................

I NEEDED THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p :p :p :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The truth be told, I AM familiar with that site. The funny thing is I never knew it was a forum!!!

CM

hey CM these fish could be okay in my 450g? : 1 maybe 2 oscars
2 Gold Saum
1 jack dempsey
1 midas
1 red devil
2 texas
2 convicts
2 salvinis
2 jewel cichlids
1 managuense
1 synspilum
1 synodontis eupterus
1 synodontis angelicus
1 panaque Nigrolineatus
1 Scarlet pleco
and if i find a festae

Anthrax,

The jewels may not be able to hold their own with the bigger fish due to being a smaller fish.

The dempsey....well every Dempsey's I have owned have been wimps!!! Even had a breeding pair with a spare male in a 90 gallon with 13 adult severum and never once became aggressive....even when spawning or guarding eggs!!

The rest IMO are fine and would make a very nice display!!!!

personal comment.......If it was me (and I realize it's not) I would opt for carpintis instead of texas. Nicer pattern and a little more aggressive.

I currently have some 2" H. carpintis "Escondido" and they are mean as he*l!!

CM

what i call texas is herichtys carpinte and not herichtys cyannogutatus

:-( A 450g tank and your gonna fill it with cichlids :-( :p :p :p

Guys - just a quickie - have just got a 5x2x2 tank - one of the Jewels - think it's an 88 gallon (UK). This should be ok for a pair of O's, yeh? :look:

A1,

By O's, I assume you mean oscars?? If so yes....IMO the tank you have would be fine. I normally recommend a 6 ft tank, but what yours lacks in the shorter foot, it makes up for in width.

What kind of oscars do you have??

I am cuurrently growing out 7 gold oscars. Can't wait for the buggers to put on some size!!! Their 3.5" right now.

CM

I have no O's (yes Oscars) at the minute CM :-( - I've been saving for the big tank before I got any - and reading up on them feverishly. I'm going to get 6 tiger O's and let them pair up (hopefully) - I have an arrangement with the lfs to take back the extra four as I only want to keep 2.

I'm waiting on an extension to the house to be built :sick: (by end of June) and will then set the tank up - give it time to cycle, etc, go on holiday B) and then in August introduce the O's to the tank. :hyper:

I just need to get one more cannister filter and some substrata (sic). Have had bogwood soaking for a month now to clean it properly.

I am SOOOOOO excited - so are the wife and kids!!!!! :nod: :nod: :nod:

On the subject of substrata :look: - I'm inclined towards large black pebbles (smooth) - am bored with gravel and think they will be easier to keep clean than sand. Any opinions? :unsure: Gonna have the bogwood and a couple of red rocks in there as well to show off the reds in the Tigers. This sound ok? :unsure:

One last question. When I went to Nottingham recently - I nipped into Wharf Aquatics (highly recommended!!!!) - they had a blue light chiclid tank set up. It looked beautiful. How do O's fare under blue light? I was contemplating fitting one for evening "viewing". -_-

A1,

Everything sounds good, but I would opt for a medium size gravel instead of large. Oscars move a loy of gravel and it would just be a lot safer if ya went with medium

Wise choice not to use sand in an oscartank.....you would never see the fish thru all the dust/sand clouds when they decided to start digging :lol: :lol: :lol:

Also don't plan on setting the tank decor up in any certain way because oscars are notorious for re-arranging their home.

As for the blue light.....can't help ya there!! All my lights are standard 4ft shop lights. Cheaper that way as I buy them by the case.

CM

Thanks CM.

The pebbles I was thinking about using are about the size of a boiled sweet (do you get them in the states?). Do you reckon that's too big? I have medium gravel in my livebearers tank and that's a pain to clean. :no:

Sorry CM - forgot that the states lacks the finer cultural aspects of life here in the UK :p :lol: . They are sort of hard boiled candies that you suck - bit like my life really! :lol:

These pebbles would be about this big
( *)
( *** )
( *** )
( *)

I am Da Vinci!!!!!!! B) B) B) :lol:

A1,

Is that an example of 4 different stones or an example of 1 stone??

Actually if it's 4 different sizes in the stones your going to use than it shoud be fine. I have started using a medium pea gravel myself which has different size stones/pebbles mixed together and they are around that size.

Looks pretty good. Don't know about solid black tho.....may want to get a natural color mix...tends to look cleaner longer!!

JMO.

CM

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back