Oscar Tankmates

erk628

Fish Herder
Joined
Nov 17, 2006
Messages
1,232
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Location
Lima Ohio USA
I have a tiger oscar who's about 8 inches and has been for awhile. I recently rehomed him from a 55 gallon to a 75 gallon. I would like to put a couple tankmates in there with him the tank looks so bare with just him. I have two green terrors tried them that didn't work out so well green terrors bullied him. I use to have a good size angel and a eel in there with him and they were fine together never had any problems but they have died.

Any suggestions??
 
What do you guys think about a few clown loachs. Would they make suitable tank mates for an ocar. Would this be over crowding the tank? I've never had any was just reading up about them.
 

What size is the Oscar? As clowns are very slow growers and Oscars are quite the opposite, if the clowns are too small they may end up as food.

It depends on what type of fish you want to add really,

Dithers/Shoalers i.e. Silver Dollars, Tinfoils, Silver Sharks
bottom dwellers, Bichirs, Plecs, synodontis, other catfish
Other Cichlids, Firemouth, Convict,
 

What size is the Oscar? As clowns are very slow growers and Oscars are quite the opposite, if the clowns are too small they may end up as food.

It depends on what type of fish you want to add really,

Dithers/Shoalers i.e. Silver Dollars, Tinfoils, Silver Sharks
bottom dwellers, Bichirs, Plecs, synodontis, other catfish
Other Cichlids, Firemouth, Convict,

He's about 8 inchs
 
In that case you will need to find clowns that are between 6-8+ inches in size, anything smaller will be killed,
Clown Loach also need to be kept in a shoal, which at that size may be quite costly
 
A couple others I though of was a school of 3 or 4 tinfoil barbs or a school of bala sharks.....I've had both of those but not with the oscar. From what I have read though they make good tank mates. I know tinfoil barbs grow fast.
 
i would say tin foils too, ive seen nellys theyre stunning :)
but i kept large clown loaches in with my oscar ( the one that hates other fish) and didnt have any problems at all
 

Most reactions

Back
Top