Orca 550

How did you 'fix' your low pH? As Cage says a common cause is excess carbon dioxide and it usual requires more surface agitation to remove it from the tank. As Cage also says an airstone will work or alternatively direct your circulation pump(s) at the water surface. It has little to do with increasing oxygenation of the water, but the increased agitation allows the CO2 to diffuse from the water more efficiently. Another thing to check is the alkalinity which does usually need some kind of supplementation. Most people use Kalkwasser or calcium reactors. I use Reef carbonate (raises carbonate alkalinity) by Seachem, it works fine for me but others will argue that it does not add alkalinity and calcium at the same ratio. I am now starting to venture to the baking soda method which is going ok. The very worst thing to do is use any other buffer etc. since it is only a quick fix which prevents the tank reaching it's equilibrium.

Best of luck of the tank

Regards

I sorted my ph by aiming part of the spray bar up to the surface and after a couple of days it went up to 8.2 and it seems to be staying around there so thanks for the advice cage.
I spent 2 hours last night in the dark watching my tank I saw hundreds of creepy crawly things and a bristle worm but the only thing that went for the prawn was a snail.
I did see the antenae appear under the same rock again but he didn't come out, I didn't pick the rock up this time because I am now worried I will drop it and smash the tank so I guess I will have another go tonight.

I just got a little look at what is hiding in my tank and it looks like a crab, it was hiding in the dark in between 2 rocks, I could see big claws moving about and its antenaes.
I remembered I removed what I thought was a dead crab last week but could it have been the moult? The thing I removed was a white pink colour with pinky red spots.
I don't know if this is enough to help anybody identify it but I can't get a photo as it is always hiding in the rocks.

Usually if they have big claws they are a baddie :crazy: big claws, all the better for catching small fish :hyper:

Seffie x

:fish

I thought the same about the big claws and have been looking at pictures of crabs to try and find out what it is, I'm not sure but it might be some kind of filter crab as it has something that waves around like a flag, also the long antennaes which most crabs don't seem to have.
I think I will have to leave it for now and wait till it comes out because it never leaves the rocks.

I didn't buy the crab it must have come on the live rock, I now think it is a porcelain crab but I need to see it better to be sure. I don't know where he is at the moment as I haven't seen it for days now but I will see if I can get a picture when he next appears.

My tank is going good at the moment and I will get some pictures if my sister ever brings the camera back.
I now have a firefish, watchman goby, 2 clownfish(I think they are occelaris) and a cleaner shrimp aswell as the snails who have finally decided to start eating the algae.
I was just wondering if I was fully stocked or could I add anymore fish? when I was buying my clowns this week they had just got in some cardinalfish and they were gorgeous and I would really like one if possible but only if I have enough room and they are compatable with what I have already got.
I have also just ordered my first coral some ricordea which should be arriving tommorow.

My tank is going good at the moment and I will get some pictures if my sister ever brings the camera back.
I now have a firefish, watchman goby, 2 clownfish(I think they are occelaris) and a cleaner shrimp aswell as the snails who have finally decided to start eating the algae.
I was just wondering if I was fully stocked or could I add anymore fish? when I was buying my clowns this week they had just got in some cardinalfish and they were gorgeous and I would really like one if possible but only if I have enough room and they are compatable with what I have already got.
I have also just ordered my first coral some ricordea which should be arriving tommorow.

Yes I think you have room for just one more fish. I have purple firefish, 2 clowns, yellow assessor and a mandarin in my orca 550 :good:

Thanks for your replys,
I have taken a couple of photos of my tank, sorry about the algae it has started to go now.
Phonepictures003.jpg

Phonepictures001.jpg

If you look carefully you can just about see the watchman goby sitting in his cave in the middle of the tank.
Any comments good or bad about my tank and any fish or coral suggestions would be helpful.

I guess nobody wanted to comment on my tank at all :(
I will tell you about my fun 4 hours today anyway, I noticed a clownfish was missing after the water change so looked in the back filter but couldn't see him then checked the floor in case he jumped out but no fish there either.
Half an hour later I looked in the back again and there he was swimming in the left chamber looking at me as if to say get me out. After 4 hours of using everything in the kitchen to get him out including spoons, a glass and a plastic scoop to name a few we managed to sort of flick him out with a tea strainer.
The good news is he seems fine and started to swim with the other clown straight away, hopefully he has learnt his lesson this time.

sometimes i just lose a clown. then i'll notice he's swimming right in the top corner.

Post some newer pics of your tank, the last ones were a bit out of focus.

We all get algae blooms when we start. a few months later you can breath a sigh of relief as it all of a sudden takes shape.

I guess nobody wanted to comment on my tank at all :(
I will tell you about my fun 4 hours today anyway, I noticed a clownfish was missing after the water change so looked in the back filter but couldn't see him then checked the floor in case he jumped out but no fish there either.
Half an hour later I looked in the back again and there he was swimming in the left chamber looking at me as if to say get me out. After 4 hours of using everything in the kitchen to get him out including spoons, a glass and a plastic scoop to name a few we managed to sort of flick him out with a tea strainer.
The good news is he seems fine and started to swim with the other clown straight away, hopefully he has learnt his lesson this time.

Oh yes we have all been there :rofl: I even tried hiding a plastic bag in there :crazy: I spent hours trying to get him out too, got fed up asked the old man to have a go and, bam 5 minutes later he was back in tank :flex: typical

Tank looking good :good:

Most reactions

Back