Orca 550

Dana C

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi,
I have been reading about nano tanks for ages now and have finally bought an orca 550. At the moment it is half full of water as making ro water takes longer than I thought.
I just have a couple of questions do I remove everything from the filter including sponges?
How much live rock will I need and does it have to stand on egg crate as I have been told?
and how much sand do I need?
I am hoping to keep a pair of clown fish, a firefish, a goby and maybe one other small fish does this sound ok?

Thanks in advance for any replys

Hi Dani

Welcome to the salty side.

About 1kg per 2 gallons is about right. I would suggest not to get anymore than this if you are intending to keep corals at a later stage as they very often come on their own live rock. and you end up with nowhere to put it all.

As you are using live rock then yes I would remove all of the filter stuff unless you are happy to wash it out every week.

You will need enough sand to give you about 1" or so bed. The rocks have to go in first then the sand so you need to take that into account as you won't need as much sand as you may have though. It is a good idea to stand the rock on egg crate or something similar so it is not in direct contact with the glass.

The fish list is ok but add them slowly and maybe just reconsider that last fish. Some people would say it's ok, others would shy against it.

Hope that helps

Cheers

welcome to the salty side Danni

Have you read my thread, will probably answer most of the questions you have - both my sister and I bought the same tanks in the summer so are a bit ahead of you :good:

Seffie x

:fish:

Thanks for your replys,
I will see if I can get some eggcrate then if you think I need it , and Seffie I have seen your thread it was looking at yours and your sisters tanks that made me decide to get the orca as I had been trying to decide which tank to get for ages. Both of your tanks look great and I have enjoyed reading it. :)

It doesn't have to be egg crate. Anything that will create a cushion effect and is inert will be fine. I had some plastic mesh which I used which is much flatter than egg crate. It's just to stop the sharp edges of the live rock damaging the glass.
Some people cut bits of pipe into small tube-like stands. Others use milliput as stands and so on. As long as it's not harmful to the tank. You don't want it too high as it needs to be hidden by the sand bed.

Cheers

Not sure you need the egg crate, might create dead spots - i'm no expert, in fact the complete opposite - so ask around and wait for a few more opinions. Not that I am in any way saying Cage is wrong (would I dare!) :blush: Seems that lots of people just place their rock on the glass bottom and then add the sand, as my sister and I did :good:

Seffie x

ps thanks for your compliments :good:

Hi Dani :hi: To the stress factory.

As seffie has already said, we both just put in the live rock then added the sand, at the later stage when you add your clean up crew if you get nass snails they will do a good job of keeping the sand turned keeping it airated.
We were advised to do it this way and not sand first, to avoid the possiblity of rock falls, if you get burrowing fish/CUC and they burrow under rock.

Look forward to following your progress :good:

Good point seffieuk but there'll be dead spots under the live rock whatever you do :rolleyes:

I used a mesh tank divider sheet which is about 2mm thick. What can I say, I'm a safety guy. I would hate to be the one to advise otherwise then find that they cracked their glass inadvertently :sick:

Anyway I'm gonna shut up, I don't want two women ganging up on me :/

Cheers

What a slur on my good name, don't listen to my sister she is just jealous :rofl:

You are of course right Cage, hadn't thought of it like that :blush: you can tell i@m a newbie :rolleyes:

Seffie x

Can anybody recommend a good make of sand, does it have to be finer if you are having a goby or are they ok with any coral sand?
Thanks for all your help so far

I just used plain coral sand, cheapest I could find Underworld Coral Gravel £3.99 a bag I think.
Live gravels are just a gimmick and ordinary sand will become live eventually anyway
Regards
BigC

Thats the make my nearest shop sells so I think I will get some at the weekend, Thanks

I got my live rock on saturday and am still trying to get it looking ok my rocks just wont stack.
So far i have seen 2 snails one has black and yellow stripes and the other is bigger and just looks dirty, there are also little white things running over the rocks and blowing round the tank and what looks like a black insect.
I also have found what looks like a red bobbly mushroom and would like to know should this go near the bottom or top of my tank?
I can't believe how fast I am seeing things in there now I just have to get the skimmer working and wait.

Most reactions

Back