Orange gritty gunk under tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sik-lid_dude

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've recently bought this second hand tank and felt some stickyness underneath. Upon investigation I can see there's a orange sticky gritty funk in wedges of the underside off the tank between the plastic housing and glass and also between the bottom brace and glass. Any ideas? Could this be due to a leak?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231208_163256_Snapchat.jpg
    Screenshot_20231208_163256_Snapchat.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 20231208_162139.jpg
    20231208_162139.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 10
Yes good chances it is leaking..

The orange colour of the scale deposit is caused by a noticeable iron level in your water.

Yes good chances it is leaking..

The orange colour of the scale deposit is caused by a noticeable iron level in your water.
Is scale deposit usually this sticky and gooey though? And wouldnt there be a puddle of water under the tank? What do you think?

Not necessarily, if the tank is only seeps very slowly the lime scale will be damp and not completely hard and dry.

Clean it very good and dry it well, wait a couple hours then run a clean paper towel along the seals. If you pick up water, it should confirm your suspicions.

Not necessarily, if the tank is only seeps very slowly the lime scale will be damp and not completely hard and dry.

Clean it very good and dry it well, wait a couple hours then run a clean paper towel along the seals. If you pick up water, it should confirm your suspicions.
This is what I'll do. Thank you for the advice, really appreciate it!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back