Orange/Brown/Copper Algae

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Rouxster

Reaction score
Hello again everyone!

I've got a 3 gallon tank that I cycled for a couple weeks even though I used BioSpira and API stress coat. quick start and stress zyme. Then I put in two of my pregnant guppy females and 5 ghost/grass shrimp. Amazingly one of the shrimp laid her eggs and there's at least 2 babies I can see swimming around. Both of the guppies dropped their fry and they're doing well.

Long story short, I've got this orange/brown/copper colored agae growing on the coral I put in the tank. I don't necessarily want to get rid of it as it's giving the coral some color. Though, I'm curious if the algae is a problem or potentially harmful to the fry? I've been keeping fish since the mid 80's and I've never had this before.

Attachments

• KIMG09321.jpg
    KIMG09321.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 323
Looks like brown algae or diatoms. Caused by silicates in new tank. Is it on the sides and other decor? I read they aren’t harmful to fish. However, it can be harmful to plants and coral if not cleaned off as it can block light. Can you wipe it off easily? If so, it’s brown algae. Just clean it off and siphon the gravel with normal tank cleanings. It will eventually go away after Tank ages. Good luck!

Last edited:
The tank only has that piece of coral along with some java moss & wisteria. The plants are thriving. I'm not worried about light being blocked to the coral since it's not live. I guess I'll just leave it be for now to see what happens. Thanks Deanasue!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back