Opinions Re Changes To Stocking Please

Lizzie71

Fishaholic
Joined
Sep 23, 2007
Messages
475
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
GB
My tank has now been set up for 4 months and (other than the surprise death of an x-ray tetra about a month ago) I have had no problems.

But the death of that tetra has caused a slight problem, because I only had 4 to start with, and 3 isn't really enough. So I'm considering a couple of options.

1) add 3 more x-ray tetras

2) get rid of the 3 remaining x-ray tetras and add a couple more livebearers instead

3) leave things alone as the remaining tetras seem happy enough

If I decide to get rid of the tetras, I'm not sure what I'd do with them as I doubt lfs would take them, and I don't know anyone else who keeps tropical fish. But I could maybe add a pair of mollies instead, which my son has always wanted.

Hmmm, decisions, decisions....
 
i know what you mean about the 3 tetras not being enough for a school. however, you have no fish that are a threat to them, which may be the reason they seem happy. i personally think the bigger the school of fish is, the better it looks so its up to you whether you up their numbers a little.
i don't like livebearers so why not replace them all with some dwarf cichlids? :D
 
Much as I would love dwarf cichlids, my children are very attached to the livebearers and have given them all names :rolleyes: So no chance of getting rid of them!

I really regret giving the small tank over to bettas, they are the most boring fish ever. I would prefer to put at least some of the livebearers back in there, and get something different in 'my' tank, but not really an option right now.
 
just get rid of the bettas if you don't like them. i'm not a particular fan of bettas either, the only time i'll get one is when i haven't had one for a while and think "ohh, i'll get a betta!" and realise why i hadn't had one for such a long time lol
but yea, there's no point in keeping fish you don't them, unless your kids like them obviously.
34 litres... thats about 7/8 gallons... that would do for some livebearers :P
 
Broached the subject of the bettas with the kids. They definitely want them, so I'm just going to get 3 more x-ray tetras for now.

I did consider a small bowl in each kid's room for the two bettas but that's two more water changes every week, and I know it'll be me who does them, not the kids.

I think I'll stick to the status quo for now, it's the easier option :)
 
lol okay dokey! there's nothing wrong with your current stocking apart from the x-ray tetras number being abit low so yea, topping that up is all thats needed really :good:
 
Thanks, got them this afternoon, plus 6 cherry shrimps :)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top