Opinions on airstones

Tjimbsoj

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I was just wondering what everyones opinion on airstones are? I currently have one within my tank, and I feel it works very effectively if hidden well. Not only aesthetically does it work, but practically to, as it disrupts the surface water, allowing more oxygen to escape into the water, increasing its general health

Whats your opinion?

If you like the look of it, go for it!

As for extra O2 exchange, that is true too but in most cases, you shouldn't have so much fish in the tank that you need an airstone to provide extra O2. Power filter should sufficiently generate enough water surface disturbance in most cases.

On the other hand, it certainly doesn't hurt, so if you like the look of it, go for it - you can't loose... ;)

Remeber that air interchange only happens at the surface and the air bubbles help to break any surface film to allow this (if you have gunk on your water surface).

I use my bubbler to help me know if my canister filter is working. As long as the bubbles get pushed in the flow I know it's not clogged. :)

When my man and I first started keeping fish,he went a bit over the top on the airstones.........bubbles everywhere in all the tanks. I think they look quite effective in some tanks,depending on what you have in there. We don't have any running at the moment,as I don't think they suit the tanks we have now.
They do help to add extra oxygen to tanks though,so if you want them,get them!!.... :D

Most reactions

Back