No WC tanks

šŸ  May TOTM Voting is Live! šŸ 
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
šŸ† Click here to Vote! šŸ†

It's controversial, but a tempest in a teapot. We aren't changing the world here.

@PygmyPepperJulli - you're on the right track. This is what I am exploring as well. I'm about 25 years in with using terrestrial plants as a support (but not a solution). As I said up above, I still do water changes on a fair scale, usually 30%, but in those tanks, I'll go 10 days if I'm busy, and don't stress if I'm getting closer to 2 weeks when things are really busy. I prefer to keep the plant growth over no more than half the tank. Chinese evergreen, peace lilies (lots), pothos, monstera, vines and leaves - they look great and do good if well managed.

@10 Tanks - it's hard to have a discussion with someone who doesn't read other people's postings. It isn't a matter of pronouncing your 'to each his own' stuff. There's a give and go in discussion. You didn't notice that I run the same kinds of set ups as you do. You don't deal with the fact I have researched this, and we've probably been doing similar things with different conclusions for around the same time. I saw my first terrestrial plant filtration system around 1995, and the guy doing it was reading a pile of articles and basing his set up on research available that far back. He did water changes, btw, as he had problems with Oodinium parasites in his wild Betta tanks.

I recently spent 2 weeks in Central Africa looking at what plants grew where in relation to the water. So much of the small fish ecology ties into above the water - falling debris becoming food, falling insects, plant roots and flooded sections... It's interesting stuff, and I am on a plant hunt now to make some authentic as I can pull off moving water tanks.

I can't recall you ever responding to arguments when your peers disagree with you. I too have heard your opinions many many times, and I've thought about them. There have been uncountable discussions about this - some very productive. The aquarium is a box, and there are a lot of things outside it that feed into enjoying it.

Thanks guys

Iā€˜ll definitely continue to do normal size water changes, like you said @CaptainBarnicles I would rather my fish have clean fresh water than eternally be forced to swallow the same water all the time :) This was mostly more of a curiosity thread.

I might do slightly smaller wcā€™s once itā€™s really planted and stuff and Iā€™ve done more research, but I donā€™t think Iā€™ll ever cut them completely. I donā€™t think Iā€™ll use heaps of terrestrial/emersed plants either, just enough that it gives the effect I want and maybe has some extra filtration on the side ;) the main plant volume will likely by submersed

Thanks again
PPJ

By all means stuff your tanks with terrestrial plants, they look great and do a good job, buy even they need minerals and trace elements that fresh water provides

Thatā€™s something Iā€™ve been thinking about as well.. Weā€™re on tank water, so not city water and is only from the rain. Does that contain trace minerals? May explain why all my non-java fern plants donā€™t last very longā€¦ then again, I havenā€™t tried that many :)

If your water doesn't come into contact with the ground and is just rain as it falls stored in a tank, it won't have any minerals at all. It's more or less the same as using 100% RO water. Most people who use all RO water add remineralisation salts and/or plant fertiliser. Or just plant fertiliser if the tank has live plants and keep fish which need very soft water.

I don't know if I would use rainwater in a tank šŸ¤” if you lived in the middle of no where away from traffic then I imagine it would be safe

@Essjay I keep softwater fish, so thatā€™s not a problem (I did know the water was incredibly soft). Thatā€™s probably why my previous stem plants were strugglingā€¦

@CaptainBarnicles, why not? We arenā€™t in a heavy traffic area, and get pretty few cars at all, but are you thinking of air quality impacting water? We drink our rainwater too, so I might be slightly more concerned about my health if it wasnā€™t safe for our fish ;).

@Essjay I keep softwater fish, so thatā€™s not a problem (I did know the water was incredibly soft). Thatā€™s probably why my previous stem plants were strugglingā€¦

@CaptainBarnicles, why not? We arenā€™t in a heavy traffic area, and get pretty few cars at all, but are you thinking of air quality impacting water? We drink our rainwater too, so I might be slightly more concerned about my health if it wasnā€™t safe for our fish ;).
So you've answered your own question šŸ‘šŸ» if you're in the middle of nowhere and drink the rainwater yourself then go for it. Not everyone can do that is what I was saying, although I live rurally there is a major road not far from us and our air quality isn't the best...so using collected rainwater for fish isn't a good option for me

Natural water and most tap water will have trace amount of arsenic, mercury, strontium, and uranium. Most of the time the levels are so low they can be ignored. How ever in a now water change tank every time you add water to compensate for evaporation the amount of toxic elements increases. eventually the water can become toxic and very slaty which can result in poor fish health and eventually death.

Now plants can accidentally incorporate these element in plant tissue. But for that to happen the pant must grow. But to grow the plant needs calcium magnesium iron, manganese, boron zinc, molybdenum and nickel. If any one is missing you get now plant growth. So it the water doesn't have what the plant needs it will not grow and will not filter the water.

IF you look at lake in nature which don't get a natural water change you see that same thing. Very salty water with little to no living things in it. Examples of this are mono lake CA, Salt lake Utah, the dead sea in israel. these lakes have no fish or living plants. They do however have bacteria algae and insects reistant to the toxic water. o

Most reactions

Back