Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Neutral

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters
I have had to put these snails in some of my tanks, actually two, 30 and 150 l , because of algae and in this case they can be very helpful, but if you don't have such issues I would say you should be very cautious with them, if you have delicate plants and so on. Melanoides snails are more helpful for the ground and against rubbish.(not against algae)

dont worry about buying ram snails
just get some plants and they will come eventually
super good algae eaters, like mini nerites
if you clean the tank and dont overfeed there wont be a lot of them

I like them but they breed quite fast / a lot.

Attachments

• 20220127_083511.jpg
    20220127_083511.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 20220111_205310.jpg
    20220111_205310.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 20220102_093914.jpg
    20220102_093914.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 46
There are different species of ramshorn snails. Those tiny reddish ones that come on plants are one species; the pretty coloured ones like in DoubleDutch's photos are another; then there are things like giant Colombian ramshorns (these are brown stripey snails) which are well known plant eaters. There are probably hundreds more species but those are the ones normally seen in stores and our fish tanks.

The pest ramshorns are a few mm across. The others are bigger than nerites.

This is the giant Colombian ramshorn

Some nice photos of the pretty coloured ramshorns here. Some of them show the snail on a human hand to give you an idea of size

So they are smaller than nerites?
smaller than a big nerite
most nerites are small but i found 2 big girls at petsmart
The pest ramshorns are a few mm across. The others are bigger than nerites.

This is the giant Colombian ramshorn
LFS dude said that i should not get them :( they eat plants
i am tempted to cycle a 47g pond and keep them in here with all of the waste duckweed

There are different species of ramshorn snails. Those tiny reddish ones that come on plants are one species; the pretty coloured ones like in DoubleDutch's photos are another; then there are things like giant Colombian ramshorns (these are brown stripey snails) which are well known plant eaters. There are probably hundreds more species but those are the ones normally seen in stores and our fish tanks.
Hahahaha that is not entirely correct.
I never had huge Ramshorns (period of 10 years) but some after being in the breedingtank got huge.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back