Oops!

drobbyb

Bowhead
Joined
Sep 22, 2008
Messages
3,251
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Location
Easley, South Carolina USA
I've been in the hobby a long time, but I guess it's never too late to make a simple mistake. I forgot to add dechlorinator! Yep, I did it. Thankfully it was my hospital tank so I didn't lose very many fish (although I had some baby guppies in that tank that didn't survive :sad: .)
 
Ooh, nasty!

I think I did that last week, all my tanks were fine except my cichlid tank, which was spiking ammonia the next day. :sad:

Fortunately I've not lost anything and things are more or less under control now, but that's been a week of daily/twice daily 50% WCs!

It is an easy thing to forget.
 
Ive forgotten before, never effected anything, neither fish nor bacteria thankfully.
 
i dont use it no more. i forgot to use it once and checked my stats and everything was ok so whats the point if its not affecting fish or stats.
 
i dont use it no more. i forgot to use it once and checked my stats and everything was ok so whats the point if its not affecting fish or stats.
that isnt a very good state of mind, i would always add it to be safe, as said in a thread earlier, water companies add more chlorine etc at peek times
 
i havent use it for over a year now and fish havent died through unknown causes. i have lost fish to whitespot once or twice but thats about it
 
i dont use it no more. i forgot to use it once and checked my stats and everything was ok so whats the point if its not affecting fish or stats.


If you have a filter running then it wont be doing anything :crazy: The chlorine from untreated tap water would have killed it. Be interested to know when you checked the water stats after not using it?
 
I, as well as a very large amount of people, haven't used dechlorinator for a long while. There's a plethora of threads about it if your interested in the science.
 
I might well go have a peek :blink: Is it safe in that section though? :S I'm easily confused.
 
i haven't used declornator since i usually let my water sit a few days before i change any tanks. its a crock, my fish don't seemed harmed by it not being in the tank
 
i haven't used declornator since i usually let my water sit a few days before i change any tanks. its a crock, my fish don't seemed harmed by it not being in the tank

Since you let it sit the chlorine will freely dissociate out of the water. This is ok but my dechlorinator treats for other chemicals in tap water too and I do it just as a precaution.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top