Only Female Dwarf Gouramis

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Seth0401

Reaction score
Hi

so i have a well established 22gal (uk gallons) so 100L and i was wondering if it is ok to only keep female dwarf gouramis in a tank and if they would be ok without a male. and what size group i should have (if i should have more than one) at the moment i have 4 peppermint corys and 1 hilstream loach.

Thankyou Seth.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

I wouldn't keep any dwarf gouramis because they can carry the Iridovirus and Tuberculosis (TB), neither of which can be treated and both diseases remain in the tank until it is taken apart and disinfected.

If you can get locally bred dwarf gouramis they should be free of disease, but anything from Asia should be avoided.

----------------------------
There are plenty of other small gouramis (Honey, Indian banded, Licorice, etc) and these are usually free of the diseases.

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness) and pH of your water supply. This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Do you have any floating plants in the tank?
Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta) is the best plant for labyrinth fishes (Bettas & Gouramis). It grows rapidly on the surface and has long stems and roots to provide shelter and break up territories. It can also be grown in the substrate.

If you want gouramis, you normally have 1 pr (1 male and 1 female). You can keep a couple of females together but never have more than 1 male because they fight over territory.

And never mix Bettas with Gouramis because they really fight.

thank you

to answer your question yes the gouramis are locally bread but i think i might change my coarse of action to a honey or an Indian banded my tank is:

Tank Width: 48cm
Tank Height: 50cm
Tank Depth: 57cm

it is heavily planted and includes a lot of hard scapes and caves where the fish can hide if need be.
my water is around 1.05 and the temp is around 27 degrees and the the PH is 7.2.

Seth

Most reactions

Back