Online plants - good or bad?

The Big Figfetti

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Iā€™m looking into the possibility of purchasing my plants online. My LFSs arenā€™t the best with variety and some of them always come with snails or algae or both.

What has your experience been with online plants. Size, quality, price, adaptability to your tank, etc.

Are there any online places that you would recommend, or any that you wonā€™t buy from again?

I've had good experience with buying plants on Etsy. I usually get good quality plants shipped pretty quickly. On the rare occasions that there was some kind of problem, the merchants were communicative and accomodating. I don't think I've ever had a truly bad experience buying plants on Etsy.

I have a store on Etsy. If you want great prices and free shipping, you should check out my shop.
I've got a large selection of plants with more added almost every week.

I have a store on Etsy. If you want great prices and free shipping, you should check out my shop.
I've got a large selection of plants with more added almost every week.
I've bought plants from connorlindeman. I second this.

Something we're getting past that you should be cautious of is the weather when ordering. Specifically cold weather. Most merchants offer insulated packaging and heat packs for an additional fee. The effectiveness of those is hit or miss. If you're expecting really cold weather, you may want to hold off on ordering. I work from home so I'm able to run out and grab a delivery as soon as I see a delivery notification. If you aren't able to do the same then sometimes you can have a package held at the post office for pick up.

I buy almost all my plants online. My favorite source is Buceplant.com. They have WAY more than buces; if you're looking for an obscure plant for a weird biotope--pretty much always what I'm doing--they probably have it. Great quality, good customer service, and decent prices.

I've also had remarkably good luck buying plants off ebay. I enjoy the bonus mystery inverts I always seem to get with ebay plants. If that isn't your thing, I'd advise looking elsewhere.

I bought a crypt on Amazon. By the time I got it, it was halfway out of the plastic rockwool holder. It has been particularly cold out and it was cold to the touch. I tried planting it anyways. When the leaves died, I thought it was crypt melt. A couple weeks later and I realized that thing was deader than fried chicken.
It probably died because of the temperature during shipping. But all the same, the experience put me off of ordering live plants on Amazon. I'll buy just about anything else that way. But not anything living.

Last edited:
I bought a crypt on Amazon. By the time I got it, it was halfway out of the plastic rockwool holder. It has been particularly cold out and it was cold to the touch. I tried planting it anyways. When the leaves died, I thought it was crypt melt. A couple weeks later and I realized that thing was deader than fried chicken.
It probably died because of the temperature during shipping. But all the same, the experience put me off of ordering live plants on Amazon. I'll buy just about anything else that way. But not anything living.
Some vendors (Marcus' Fish Tanks, my fav) sell on amazon too. They are fine if you know the vendor your purchasing from. That was probably the issue.. I bought a ton from random vendors, wasted $55.30 on DOA plants.

Also ****check for their DOA policy**** on any site!!! that is a CRITICAL move!

Some vendors (Marcus' Fish Tanks, my fav) sell on amazon too. They are fine if you know the vendor your purchasing from. That was probably the issue.. I bought a ton from random vendors, wasted $55.30 on DOA plants.

Also ****check for their DOA policy**** on any site!!! that is a CRITICAL move!
Marcus Fish Tanks is really good. I think I'll stick with buying from them on Etsy because it's easy to communicate with vendors there.

Iā€™m looking into the possibility of purchasing my plants online. My LFSs arenā€™t the best with variety and some of them always come with snails or algae or both.

What has your experience been with online plants. Size, quality, price, adaptability to your tank, etc.

Are there any online places that you would recommend, or any that you wonā€™t buy from again?
Iā€™ve made several purchases from Aquarium Co-op over the years. Never had a bad experience with the quality of plants and price. They take exceptional care in packing the plants for shipment and have plenty of positive reviews.

Most reactions

Back