One Solid Gallon Of Eye Candy.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

chrissaysyes

Nereus
Reaction score
Sooooo as some of you may know I used to have a 4.5 gallon mantis tank. Things were going great with it, however, there were certainly some lessons learned. I will now list the pro's and con's to my previous "pico" in regards to using it to house a young peacock mantis:

Pros
-Compliments...man...I got SO many. It was a big hit. We have people over to the house a lot and this tank was always the main attraction.
-Small...yeah...it was small...saved space. Thats always nice.

-Uber eye candy...It sat on my office desk so it was always a pleasant distraction and something nice to look at.

-Blah blah blah...whatever you can think of. It was a really nice looking tank..great corals, great specimen of mantis, great tank all together! Now on to the fun/sad part...

Cons
-Small...seriously...what was I thinking? 4.5 gallons for ANYTHING that comes from the ocean is too small...despite your success, my success, any creature thriving in it's little box...it's just too small and bad things will happen sooner or later in some form.

-Open top...this sucked. My desk was made of glass so it was always covered in a chalky mist from saltwater spray due to evaporation. That sucked and lead to a lot of wasted paper towels.

-Compatibility...you know all those videos or mantis shrimp living happily with corals? Isnt that pretty...no. No...it's not. Because mantis shrimp move around a lot...and your corals will get irritated a LOT. The ones that dont die will stay closed pretty often. The ones that dont have their bases smashed apart, leaving them free to float around the tank or become lodges in a pump somewhere, will always be irritated and look just O.K. Obviously this too could be viewed as a space issue.

-Um...last but not least...something I didnt expect to happen...Mantis's can jump! SUPRISE!

How would you like to get a phone call from your girlfriend, while your roommate is screaming in the background, and all you hear is her yelling something into the phone about how "that thing is on the floor!"

Sadly enough, Leonidas made a brave leap in the night in search for a better world. He dried up into a crusty cray fish looking thing and was discovered the next day by my unsuspecting girlfriend and her yorkie. Bummer.

So...that's what happened with the last pico....in the next post I'll explain the new one :)

Ok, so here's the new tank:

- 1 gallon acrylic
- JBJ K-2 Viper 70W HQI lighting the way
- AquaClear 20 keepin things moving
- Canister filter of some sort will be added sooner or later if lots of filtration is necessary.

so that's it. The setup is a lot nicer and even smaller than my last pico so this one will not be as much of a pain...not to mention the star of the show wont be so terrifying. Plus I have a new desk so the tank fits and looks better on it, also no more glass to always have to clean saltwater off of.

Inhabitants will more than likely consist of shrimp and corals. Lots of corals...possibly even a young maxima clam. Nothing crazy. I'm even considering dwarf seahorses. We'll see. I'm not going to get peoples hopes up just yet. I dunno if I have the time to grow brine every other day heh. Anyways, construction is complete and the tank is cycling...I guess.

Water and live sand/rubble have been added from the mature reef tank on the other side of the room...so dunno if it's going to cycle or not. Once temp stabilizes I'll chunk in some corals.

Already have a few snails crawling around on the glass :)

img_0509.jpg

img_0511-1.jpg

img_0513.jpg

img_0518.jpg

img_0521.jpg

Mantids can jump huh? Learn somethin new everyday... Sorry to hear bout that

Lookin forward to seeing the new tank though :D

Great to see you back on the forum Chris. I had a dwarf seahorse tank but just never finished it. Gonna be fun to watch too. How close is the light to the water?

great question! Also a question I shouldve answered before the water hit 97 degrees :D

Had to start over with water and sand/rubble. Got the temp pretty stable at 80 and added a pound of LR today along with a handful of shrooms. Also went ahead and put some mesh over the powerhead to protect future seahorses.

Over the past few days I've added:

2lb LR
~5 xNassarius
1 xBlue-legged Hermit
3 xYoung Peppermint Shrimp
1 xTeddy Bear Crab - Accidentally put him in there, he'll be moving out soon.

Added a nice colony of reddish brown palythoas, a pretty large kenya tree frag, as well as a few shrooms. I'll put pics up tonight.

Watch the frogspawn in such a small tank... remember they sting other corals. Cool tank, though. I like the palys.

I just had an epifany! Why not try a sps frag? You've got he flow.... and well 70 watts per gallon... YOU'VE GOT THE LIGHTS!!!!!!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back