Omg Look What I Found

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Mauigirl

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I so love these oddball cats, I found this while visiting a unknown to me fishstore in the area.
The owner took me in the back when I mentioned I have healthy Farowellas and showed me these. Not on display.
$20 each though, wow steep.
I'm tempted though. since my first 2 whip-tails I haven't been able to find anymore anywhere.. These arnt the same as the ones I have but I think the are so darn cool.

Royal Farowella
royal.jpg

Wow - lovely looking fish!! How big do they get?

8" in the wild 6" captive but thin, recommended 30 gal but I'll be adding to a 55 gal. They Like flow and high quality water.

Edit:should add they are reported to be sensitive to large water changes, I do small 3x weekly in that tank to be safe.

Males can be territorial to other males but otherwise peaceful.
I have read that they are scavengers and algae eaters but mine so far only respond to Zucchini and Cucumber.
My avatar is my current female.

Depending on the exact species, up to 12". They are very narrow fish, only being broad and thick around the head and "shoulders" area.

Depending on the exact species, up to 12". They are very narrow fish, only being broad and thick around the head and "shoulders" area.
well I was quoting the research on the royals.
There are a few variations.
I more regurgitate what i read rather than speak from experience for now

Done deal, Since I cant stop thinking about them They will be coming home tomorrow,
Come heck or high water.

Beautiful fish; I have one (I'm looking for a mate for her if I can ever find one!) and they're much easier to keep than Farlowellas, IME.

I haven't had a problem doing large water changes with her; I haven't heard that before. All my tanks get 50 or 60% changes, and she's been fine with that.

Beautiful fish; I have one (I'm looking for a mate for her if I can ever find one!) and they're much easier to keep than Farlowellas, IME.

I haven't had a problem doing large water changes with her; I haven't heard that before. All my tanks get 50 or 60% changes, and she's been fine with that.
Good to know, I Read it somewhere but going back to my usual research sites, I cant for the life of me find the quote now.. maybe I had some wine that night :blush:

Congrats, they'll be awesome fish. To be fair in my size estimate, I was including all twig/whiptail cats, since so many look similar.

There cool fish ain't they!? I saw some for sale at my local pets @ home a while back, but was only in for some food and didn't have enough money for them and theyv not been back in since :angry:

Next time I see them though.....

Congratulations on your new fish ! Looks like they are going to be well looked after ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back