Okay stocking choice for a 120 gallon?

I wouldnt cycle with daniso just because in a 120 gallon tank they would be very hard to get. I have mine in a 20 gallon and its hard. Dont use danios as feeders, but I dont think anything can catch them anyways. :p I wouldnt get the clown knife, they get big. Go with the pitcus they a cool catfish spiecies.

Tropical fish thats a load of BS. A tank needs to be cycled. I doubt you havent lost a fish unless you have a bunch of platys. :sly: :angry:

FrAnK3333 said:
Dont use danios as feeders, but I dont think anything can catch them anyways.
A shovelnose can, 4 dianos in one night. I brought him back when I found out he'd hit 3-4 feet.
P2050141.jpg

FrAnK3333 said:
I wouldnt cycle with daniso just because in a 120 gallon tank they would be very hard to get. I have mine in a 20 gallon and its hard. Dont use danios as feeders, but I dont think anything can catch them anyways. :p I wouldnt get the clown knife, they get big. Go with the pitcus they a cool catfish spiecies.

Tropical fish thats a load of BS. A tank needs to be cycled. I doubt you havent lost a fish unless you have a bunch of platys. :sly: :angry:
really well if that the chase my oscar should have died long ago he is now 7 years old and i clean his tank out completely once a month and his fine. My angelfish are 2 years old and i clean there tank out once a week and there fine. I also have a pond out side with a native catfish that is only 5inches right now but can grow 500mm long and his still alive. My sister cleans her tanks once a week and there all fine. A friend of mine did cycling and only did water changes her ph was 6 nitrite 0 nitrate 10 anommia 0 and she lost her fish. I was talking to a girl in the pet shop she cycled her tank and her water was prefect and couple days after she added her fish they died. Like i said i've never had a problem. But if you believe in cycling i'm not stoping you i just think its not needed.

Well since I have an extra 10 gallon that is already cycled...could I cycle my tank with smaller fish and then when my tank has cycled move them to the 10 gallon. They would have to get along with a betta though. :dunno: I wonder if you can cycle with a bunch of ghost shrimp? Or are they too sensitive to bad water?

My fiend had 3 shovel nose catfish. There nice fish. As for the non cycle, I CYCLED AND HAVENT LOST A FISH. Reachel cycle your tank, you have to or else whats goign to eat the crap?

Regardless of what other people have done, cycling fishless is best. I have not done it as could not find pure ammonia, but if you can thats the best way to go. I seeded my first tank with media from an existing tank, if you cant do that then platties or danios will do the job.

I thought you were cycling with 30 ish shrimp? if so, go for it.

Jon

Deffinately either fishless cycle or try the shrimp (though that'll take a while). Another option is with snails. I know a lot of people consider them pests but they do create plenty of waste.

TropicalFish - you'll find that oscars are very hardy, angels I'm sure will have long-term problems and ammonia and nitrIte are very poisonous. Even if it doesn't kill the fish, why put them through such stress? How would you like swimming in your own sh*t? (for lack of a better way of putting it)

i do have filters on my tanks they pick up the sh*t. What do you think sh*t does disappear in the water no. The only way of getting rid of annomia,nitrite,nitrate,and the sh*t is to clean your tank or sython your water weekly. If your to fussy with your water thats where problems start. Like this for an example i had a spotted python i was that fussy of her like temp,cage,water,hides she went off food so i gave her to my neigbour and she still hasn't eatten. MY diamond python i wasn't fussy over and shes a guts. If you have good filtration you shouldn't need to worry about cycling. My auntie has a discus and they need prefect water but she didn't cycle her tank and its still alive today. I even own birds and if i took them to the vet everytime i thought there was something wrong i would be broke. My male betta is a hardy fish he was in a 1ft tank and i cleaned his tank out every week and he is fine he is now in a 4ft tank. Like my mum says whats the point of having a fish tank runing for 6 weeks without any fish in it thats a waste of water and electricty by time the cycling id finshed you would need to clean the tank out cause it will be full of alege. My sister and me tested this out we left a 2ft tank for cycling for 6 weeks and the water was that green you couldn't see anything so we cleaned out the tank and put water conditioner in and then put fish in and there still alive. I have only lost 2 fish my salmontail catfish which my oscar killed by grabing him and shaking him and 1 of my native catfish that was having fits so i had to kill him. My sister has a 4ft tank here with 1 oscar,1 salmontail catfish,2 silver dollars,2 plecos and a clown loach and she hasn't done a water change in 4 months and there still all alive. So if you want to fuss over your tanks go ahead and do so this works for me and my sister we have a water conditioner here that takes out chlorine,nitrite,and nitrate. This is my last post in this thread.

Poor clown loach :sad: Its lonely :sad: Filters clean the water but what will clean the sh*t when it goes to the bottom? And how can you kill a fish? I can understand feeders but the catfish was under so much stress and went crazy. :sad:

I reccomend some biggish fish that wont be eaten. if you want catfish have large ones. and avoid any unpotted expensive plants

Raechal is adding 4 or 5" of fish to a 120 gallon tank. I'm sorry but fishless cycling is a complete waste of effort and time under these circumstances. Even if she puts the fish into the tank and doesn't do a water change for a month there will never be any ammonia to measure unless she has a very precise electronic gadget that can measure in tiny increments.

I agree w/ fishless cycling...especially with a tank that size.

Loaches are great bottom fish too. :)

Most reactions

Back