Oily Film On Water Surface

pixelpefekt

Fish Crazy
Joined
Mar 28, 2008
Messages
259
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Scotland - In the middle
Got a new tank with a sand substrate, rocks and have just added a bunch of plants last week. There is now an oily film on the top of the tank. It's not thick or anything but I'm worried about what must be causing it and how to fix it.

Any ideas?
 
i have that same prob too and my set up sounds the same as urs sand rocks and plants
 
It's usually protein in food that causes this. Increasing surface motion will get rid of it, as will floating a paper towel on the surface for a moment.
 
Tolak is spot on (of course).

I will add that it is a good policy to rinse your hands (and arms) under running water before plunging them into your tank as any creams/left over soap and even sweat will add to surface polution
 
Good point, I never really use skin lotions & potions, but skin oils are almost always there.
 
lotions and potions... you may have a point. my daughter suffers from excema so i've often got the left overs of her creams on my hands. I do wash after but I'll try harder to make sure all traces are gone!

Will try the paper towel method. :)
 
It may not be just from the food, if plants are doing badly (ie not getting all the required nutrients) then they can leach proteins into the water too.
 
An easy way to get rid of it is to use a jug or small bowl, immerse it into the top of the tank vertically and slowly, as the water comes upto the lip of the jug, only surface water will enter which will skim the scum off the top of the water. I also get it if I have fed fish the food at the bottom of the tub.

Baz
 
What worked for me was using an airstone (bubble maker) for about 5 minutes a day for about 3 days in a row. I used a battery powered pump and airstone from a bait bucket (the kind you use to go fishing).
 

Most reactions

Back
Top