Oil Looking Layer On Water Surface

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Asidhunter

Reaction score
So i started cycling my tank last monday, all seemed to be going well until this morning when i looked at the surface water which seems to have an oily layer in it.

Im not sure if this has been caused by a recent "spring cleaning" in the living rom where the tank is or something else completly, my question is whats best, trying to skim the layer off the surface or emptying the tank and starting to cycling process again?

The tank has already been planted to an extent and has gravel, large stones and bog wood inside so you can see my reluctance to empty it as everything would need to be scrubbed clean. At the end of the day i want to tank to be safe for future habitants so if emptying and cleaning is my best bet i will happily do it, just wanted to ask the more experienced keepers advise incase this is somehow a normal occurance in new tanks.

Many thanks in advance,

Asidhunter

A small BRAND NEW disposable plastic/paper cup can be used.  Just place it so that the very top of the water can run into the cup, it allows you to skim the very surface of the water without worrying about a siphon.  Very quick, very easy.

A pic would help.  It's probably not "oil" though, so I think you are fine.

I heard using a paper towel for a quick touch on the surface can help remove it?

What can be the causes of an 'oily' surface?

its probs protein from something in your tank, its from not enough surface movement, move your filter up in the tank so more ripples come, as for getting rid of it, lay a piece of paper on it and drag it across the surface, it gets rid of it for me 

tanks for the quick replies :) , will get a picture as soon as my phone charges (stupid iphone battery life :( ). more than likely got an unopened pack of cups somewhere, and more paper towel than any one could ever need.

Asidhunter said:
tanks for the quick replies
smile.png
, will get a picture as soon as my phone charges (stupid iphone battery life
sad.png
). more than likely got an unopened pack of cups somewhere, and more paper towel than any one could ever need.
The old lady seems to think we need a year supply of paper towels at all times here ;P

It can also be caused by oils from fish food (unlikely to be an issue for you) or oils from you (particularly things like moisturisers) on your arms as you move things around in the tank.

If you can position the filter outlet to create a slight ripple at the surface of the tank it can help a lot.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back