April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

JuiceBox52

Passionate about fish and their care
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Came to a friends house for a movie night. They have a fish tank! Cool....except the stocking is one honey gourami, one angelfish, one yo yo loach, one skirt tetra, one columbian tetra and one BETTA. Come on guys :( that's not cool

fish-funny.gif
literally my reaction.

Yeah, that always sucks. I was so happy when I heard my coworker had gotten his kid a fish tank. Someone to share my hobby with! Then they went and got a hodge podge of fish, even after asking my advice and me helping them with research. It is so disappointing.

my teacher is thinking about getting fish and i've been educating her about it...
now she knows you need cycling, filter, heater, and live plants and lights are really good
it was gonna be a 5+ gallon with 2 male guppies

my uncle's girlfriend has 3 MALE bettas in tall but small vases. they get fed 2x a day but only receive 1 large tropical fish flake each time. she says that one of them is a female which is obviously a male VT. I've tried to educate them but have failed every time.

Some people will never be educated on fish health and welfare

You can explain things in simple terms til your are blue in the face but they will take absolutely no notice of you. Most like this will retort that "the person in the shop said it was OK and they know what they are doing"

As I have said before....a fish will tolerate alot of things but unless their environment is right, they will never thrive.

Sometimes you have to take a deep breath or ten, count to 100 a few times and walk away from these people. They won't listen so no point wasting your breath.

And when it all goes entirely pearshaped...which it will....you can tell them straight, "I did tell you it was all wrong but you refused to listen....now do you actually want to keep fish properly, if so I will guide you...but if you stray off the instructions, I wash my hands of you"

Yeah, that always sucks. I was so happy when I heard my coworker had gotten his kid a fish tank. Someone to share my hobby with! Then they went and got a hodge podge of fish, even after asking my advice and me helping them with research. It is so disappointing.
There is this guy at work who asked me if I had a Betta, and I said yes. He wanted to put 3 blue crayfish in a 1 gallon tank with this Betta they had. I said that wasn't a good idea, because cray fish and Bettas don't get along together. Also said Bettas need a 5g tank as an absolute minimum, which he immediately disagreed with. Then he asked what size of tank my betta was in, and I said 10 gallons. That got him trippin, because he thought it was ridiculous that I kept a single fish in "that big of a tank".

A week later? Said his Betta died, and the crayfish ate it. Apparently the Betta was super stressed out because of the crayfish, and it either died of said stress, or the crayfish killed it. I don't get why people ask for advice from people that clearly know more about fish than them, and then just completely disregard wht you told them.

Some people will never be educated on fish health and welfare

You can explain things in simple terms til your are blue in the face but they will take absolutely no notice of you. Most like this will retort that "the person in the shop said it was OK and they know what they are doing"

As I have said before....a fish will tolerate alot of things but unless their environment is right, they will never thrive.

Sometimes you have to take a deep breath or ten, count to 100 a few times and walk away from these people. They won't listen so no point wasting your breath.

And when it all goes entirely pearshaped...which it will....you can tell them straight, "I did tell you it was all wrong but you refused to listen....now do you actually want to keep fish properly, if so I will guide you...but if you stray off the instructions, I wash my hands of you"
If these were dogs? Or Horses? It would be completely different. You could actually call the police and get them arrested/fined for animal abuse/neglect. But because they are "just fish" it's completely fine. It's disgusting.

How many times have you see a question asked, with the asker ignoring all responses til they see the answer they wanted? That's humans for ya. None of my fish ever post questions and ignore answers, or talk to people until they get the same result.;)

My aunt kept a bn pleco in a 3 gallon. She wondered why it died:no:

My uncle put a dozen koi in an un cycled tank. I gave him MY cycled media to help get his started at least and he washed it in tap water.

The frustration burns. It burns very badly. Sometimes people just don’t know. There is that idea that it’s just a fish. Even when people DO research, there’s so much false information. The thing that kills me is when they’re not open to the answers they don’t want. Somebody who walks into a store is simply unaware of a fish’s needs is so much more tolerable than someone who is intentionally ignorant of the fish’s needs.

They will learn when they start losing fish due to tank conditions.
They said they didn't know why they keep losing fish, or were like "oh well the angelfish fought with the gourami and killed it so we got a new gourami to replace it"

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back