Odds Of Cacatuoides Fry Surviving In Community Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

misterpro

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Anybody has experience with the odds of cacatuoides fry surviving in a community tank?

I had wrigglers before but they never got to the free swimming phase.  This time however they have.  The little guys have been free swimming herded by both mom & dad for 6 days now.  I never expected any of them to make it past a day or two swimming through this community tank.  But I now catch myself trying to count the little guys several times a day.  (20 odd left, out of initial 50'ish wrigglers, and that number hasn't gone down the last 4 days).  When the lights go out at the end of the day, mom takes them in her mouth and takes them back to her "house" for the night.

Unfortunately my quarantine tank isn't empty at the moment so I can't move them anywhere...

I feed the little guys two times a day (can't manage more when I'm working) with a mixture of Hikari First Bites & microworms from my culture.  I gently squirt the food at the spot they're currently at with a plastic pipette.  They seem to be eating well.

So, what are the odds of any making it in the tank I have up in my signature?

Excuse the crappy cellphone vid...
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g83LxcTpoFM[/media]

I've got no experience with Cichlid fry, but I do have experience with fry in a community tank... In almost two years, and a fairly consistently busy breeding group of panda cories, I've gotten about 9 fry to grow to maturity.  Not a great return, if I were actually trying to save them.

If you really want to bring the fry up, you'd be better off with a separate breeding tank, and move the parents out when they hatch... 

Just my two cents, but it might not be worth that much. :/

If it's the tank you have listed in your signature then the odds aren't that bad, although you'll always get more without the community setting.

I'd probably be more worried about losing a few tetras......

If they've spawned a few times, they'll carry on, so you could always breed them once your QT is empty :)

But even if you only get one or two growing to maturity, that's as good as they'd do in the wild, on average, don't forget! And it is great to see fish being allowed to parent :D

Thanks for the replies.  Glad to see it might not be completely impossible to have some grow to maturity.  (only time will tell of course)

And yup it's the tank in my sig.  Forgot to mention that.  You can see mom's "house" roughly in the middle-front of the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back