Odd Nbd Gourami 'personality'?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Vibora

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
According to every stereotype that I know of, gouramis are a timid kind of fish in general. My mother's is very skittish. But my male neon dwarf blue is odd, to say the least. He's absolutely obsessed with food, and not the least bit shy. Any sort of movement doesn't scare him, but instead, he immediately takes his chance to rush up and try to eat whatever moves. When I clean out the tank, he spends the entire time trying to eat the freckle on my wrist. I have sinking pellets for my cories, and he will go to the bottom of the tank and pick them up and bring them to his 'corner' to eat. Or he will attempt to eat the entire cm pellet whole, and inevitably spit it out and try again. I've had him for a little over a month and a half now. He's had plenty of time to try and settle in.

Is anyone else familiar with this sort of behavior? I know that they are opportunistic, but golly! I'm considering changing him out with another Neon or even trying a honey gourami or a platy, because I'm worried that he'll try eating at the cories fins one of these times.

A long time ago I had a dwarf gourami that was similarly enthusiastic and bold. It would get so excited when it saw the food jar come out that it would start spitting water out of the tank and would eat out of my hand - no fear. I had to remove it from the tank a couple of times for maintenance reasons and it was so tame I just scooped it out by hand. It was in a community tank with some timid fish, although the exact stocking I had then escapes me. Of course, enthusiasm over food can turn into aggression other fish don't get out of the way when it happens, but what you've described so far doesn't sound too unusual to me.

Most reactions

Back