Obese Gourami

bolivian_d

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Aug 12, 2008
Messages
82
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hey,

One of my red honey gourami's has turned into an enormous whale. I suspect either pregnancy or dropsy. I don't even know if female gourami's get 'pregnant' or not but i see it as the only alternative explanation to dropsy. I actually thought it was a male so I don't have too much confidence in that theory. However, the clear male in my tank has been 'wrestling' the other fish and has been bubble nesting.

I hope it's not dropsy. If it is, is it contagious?

It's not actually obesity. As far as I know, I don't overfeed. Besides, none of my other fish are that size.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
 
Well Gouramis aren't livebearers so, definitely not pregnant.
She could be eggbound, or dropsy. or constipated.
Is she pooping?

Any way to get a picture of her?

Can you tell if she looks fluid filled, or does it look more solid?
Maybe she's getting ready to spawn with the male?

I'd keep an eye on her. If she appears to be getting bigger, set up a hospital tank or something and seperate her from the other tank.

Dropsy is just a name for a symptom so it's not contagious. However, whatever caused the dropsy could be contagious to the other fish.
I would also test the water, and do a 30-50% water change w/ a good gravel vac.
 
Unfortunately no pics.

I have a pair of bolivian rams so water quality is essential. I carry out three 10-15% water changes a week. NitrIte and Ammonia is 0.

The fat gourami isn't eating and is now hiding in a cave. It's enormously big. It looks more solid but he/she is THAT large that I doubt it's eggbound. Seriously, I have no idea.

Edit: No quarantine tank. It's my first tank. It's 20G.
 
This is really sad. I know it's hard with no pics... but could this be the disease dwarf gourami's are known for? It's so inflated and slow.
 
You don't need a glass tank to set up a quarantine/hospital tank . Go out and get yourself a big clear plastic storage tub ( about the size of an average ten gal tank so about 18x12x12 inches ) and set that up as a hospital tank. Cut holes round the lid edges for any wires to come out, and a few holes in the top of the lid itself to allow oxygen into the tub to circulate with the water.

Add a small HOB filter or even a basic sponge filter, a heater and a load of cheap silk plants or a coconut cave ect, for the fish to hide in. Don't bother with gravel or sand, just have the bottom bare and that way it'll be easier to keep clean and see if the fish is pooing or not.


It's cheaper than buying a glass tank and you can treat the gourami away from the main tank since rams need such precise water.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top