Nry's Pfk Aquacube Journal

As a recap (it's all in this thread!):

5 Gallon PFK AquaCube
Interpet PC T5 24w Daylight Plus with reflector - 4.8wpg on for 8 hours per day
DIY CO2 with two Nutrafin cannisters and ceramic diffuser
Slightly reduced EI dosing using Tropica Plant Nutrition for trace
JBL AquaBasis Plus below Hagen Black River Sand
AquaClear HOB filter - all media removed including carbon, using ceramic noodles and polywool instead
50% water change weekly

Planting/decor:

Mopani wood with Tropica Windelov fern attached (1 pot)
Tropica Rotala Rotundifolia to back right (1.5 pots)
Tropica Vallis Mini Twister to back left (1 pot)
Tropica Pogostemon Helferi (3 heads) in front of mopani wood
Tropica H.C. (1 pot I think)

Tank has now been set up for ~8 weeks - the CO2 and EI was started ~6 weeks ago and has really helped all plants in my opinion.

Livestock:

7 x rasbora maculatus
5 x Corydoras Pygmaeus
3 x Otocinclus Huaorani
4 x Amano Shrimp

Ei is as simple as it can ever get, buy the three powders, find the size of your tank in gallons, read the instructions and add the relevant weight of powder on the day indicated in the instructions.

Better lit image:

normal_CWilcox_PFK_AquaCube.jpg

I mix mine with water also as per the instructions. I add:

Sunday: 0.5ml Tropica Plant Nutrition (Traces)

Monday: 2.5ml KNO3, 1.5ml KH2PO4, 0.5ml K2SO4

Tuesday: 0.5ml Tropica Plant Nutrition (Traces)

Wednesday: 2.5ml KNO3, 1.5ml KH2PO4, 0.5ml K2SO4

Thursday: 0.5ml Tropica Plant Nutrition (Traces)

Friday: Rest day and 50% water change

Saturday: 2.5ml KNO3, 1.5ml KH2PO4, 0.5ml K2SO4

that looks really nice, but i kinda liked it better at first with the branches/sticks. i think i mght use them in my big tank

I could not get the planting right with the sticks - the concept is still a nice one but without the right planting it just didn't work. I also don't like EcoComplete for carpeting plants like H.C. as it is not fine enough for small plant to root and hold down well.

Incase anyone ever wonders how good EI is for fish, my pygmy corydoras have spawned last week, with some hatched fry first seen today. Second time they've spawned and I only have 5 of them!

Hi Nry,

Your tank looks brilliant, congratulations on the cories spawning, must be brilliant.

Could you tell me what your water chemistry is like? Your EI dosing regime seems to be working better than mine, I think perhaps I should be adding more KH2PO4, I might copy your dosing regime ;)

Cheers,
Mike

Hi Nry,

Your tank looks brilliant, congratulations on the cories spawning, must be brilliant.

Could you tell me what your water chemistry is like? Your EI dosing regime seems to be working better than mine, I think perhaps I should be adding more KH2PO4, I might copy your dosing regime ;)

Cheers,
Mike

Err, well, in the vain of EI I don't *cough* test. Can't say I have seen any more of the fry though, my guess is they've all been eaten!

WOw nry thats is a beautiful tank ! it just a shame that the wood on at the top is cut , makes it look just a bit un natural, but maybe your can cover it .

Pah - I know I know, kicked myself as soon as I put it back in the tank after cutting! The easier solution is that I will soon be taking the tank down, it is in the kitchen which is getting completely refurbed soon and I have nowhere to put it - inhabitants will move into my 15-gallon and hopefully I'll be re-homing most of the 15-gallon fish.

Soo - this tank is being stripped down tomorrow to make way for a major kitchen refurb (walls down, the lot) as this tank is currently in the kitchen and I have nowhere else I can put it. Some plants and all fish are moving to my 15-gallon which is getting completely rescaped in a few weeks (all fish but the oto's and shrimps are going back to LFS). I do not want to run this tank again as a high light/CO2/EI style tank as I want to reduce maintenance long term - I do have the original light (11-watts), would this be sufficient for a low light tank and if so, anyone with some good plant/design suggestions? I'm debating a nice colourful betta, never had one and I think I'd be OK without a heater too?

Farewell thee PFK AquaCube - may thy future be unknown :)

Most reactions

Back