Noticed A Serpae Tetra's Face Had Gone Weird..

Ferg1985

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I haven't a clue what has not long since happened!?!

Earlier this evening I was about to feed my fish when I noticed that out of my 10 strong school of Serpae Tetras, 1 of them was at the opposite side of the tank. He was slightly 'off' with his swimming, and bumping into the ornaments. What was most noticeable was its mouth - it looked like a disfigurement and I hadn't noticed this when purchasing them on Saturday.

The mouth looked like it had a hard scale-like disc attached to it. It wasn't cotton-wool like, it looked fair hard and as if it could be a part of the face rather than something growing on it or attached. Anyway, unfortunately within 5 minutes of noticing this and pointing it out to my mum it flipped over, sank to the substrate and was dead. I removed it immediately and tried to examine and photograph the face but it wasn't showing up even on 8MP camera.

I've put some Finrot/Fungus disease treatment in (it is all I have to hand) and will do a substantial water change in the morning. The rest of the fish look fine, no disfigurements or growths..and they are schooling around fine, normal behaviour. I am just wondering if it could be some parasite-based disease, or could it have even been it has been squabbling with another Serpae and done itself some damage (all speculative I know).

Thanks for any suggestions/advice.

Finrot treatment will help as displaced scales or disfigurement caused by fighting may cause open wounds which bacteria and fungus are then drawn to. Even if no fungus or bacteria had taken hold, any water making contact with a sensitive area of a fish (i.e. open wound) can easily kill it due physiological osmotic stress.

If possible add some tonic salt to the water as this will lower the amount of osmotic pressure on any possible wounds/dislodged scales where water may be entering the fish. Only use proper aquarium tonic salt if your fish and plants can tolerate it and if it can be used alongside your current treatment.

Mark.

Woke up this morning and one of the other Serpae Tetras was hiding under one of the root ornaments, it was really pale in colour. Just found him floating about the tank with his tail and fins severely nipped by the others, so I've put him in the net and left him floating in there - doubt it will survive..really stumped as to what is going on now :sad:

Did tests last night and all seems fine, 0ppm of Ammonia and Nitrite, 0.2ppm of Nitrate. I'll do another dose of treatment tonight but that is presuming it is something fungal, I've not seen any signs or symptoms of fungal disease. The other fish look healthy and fine and behaving normally (except I said that last night and this guy was fine and behaving normal, so something is happening).

The stocking is 3 Angels (but they avoid the Serpaes and are small, I doubt they've attacked them). 7 Red Eye tetra and 9 (soon to be 8) Serpae Tetra, and 6 Peppered Cory. I've not seen any chasing or bullying, everyone just schools about happily so don't know how this is happening.

What test kit are you using?

Are you using the interpet med.

Read this to see what you think.

http://www.articledepot.co.uk/article-29320.htm

Have you seen any aggression in the tank.

Most reactions

Back