Not Normally A Platy Lover But......

doresy

Sometimes Right, Sometimes Wrong but ALWAYS certai
Joined
Dec 1, 2006
Messages
3,845
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
GB
I was in the LFS looking for some Java Moss when these 2 caught my eye. What do you think? :D They were in a beta display tank which is why I saw them. Apparantly a customer had brought them in, he had been keeping them in a cold water set-up. :/

A male and a female (I'm guessing the female is the larger one?) Anyway, with the size and the colouring I thought that they were unusual and would look better in my community tank than cramed in the tiny tank in the LFS.

Anyway, since being placed in my tank they have not left each other's side, not even for a second! I have 2 other female Platy (orange) but they pay no attention to each other.

I am also guessing that they are quite old by their size. I am a little concerned about the larger one as although it reacts when food is put into the tank it does not seem to have a clue where it is and goes right past it. :rolleyes: However, it does manage to get a little if it hits it on the nose! At first I thought it was blind but it does react to my movements.

Any comments wecomed ;)

img0361on3.jpg


img0356yu4.jpg
 
Im sure it will start eating soon, my platy's are greedy little things.

Great fish too.

Cheers Gordon
 
Thanks for all your replies.

The large one (female?) seems to be settling down a bit now, I think it's a confidence thing.

The colourful pair really brighten up my tank and they look quite exotic for well under a fiver the pair :hey:
 
Doresy, livebearers are a lot easier to sex than the cories you usually deal with. On a female the anal fin is an almost eqilateral trinagle, on a male it is long and thin since its used to impregnate the female. Your platies are looking nice and are probably more mature than you can usually find at the LFS.
 
Your platy are Redtailed Black Variatus platy. Never seen them in my LFS but after seen your picture makes me wanna find them and add to my Variatus tank. Actually Variatus are subtropical species which that why they were kept in the tank without heater.
 
Beautiful looking platys you got there :good: , never seen ones quite like that available in any of my lfs. The varieties which really do it for me though are the spotted and mottled calico varieties, like this;

[URL="http://badmanstropicalfish.com/sbs/livebearer/sbs_platy3.jpg"]http://badmanstropicalfish.com/sbs/livebearer/sbs_platy3.jpg[/URL]

[URL="http://www.tropicalfishintl.com/images/enl...CalicoPlaty.jpg"]http://www.tropicalfishintl.com/images/enl...CalicoPlaty.jpg[/URL]


I just saw some pretty awesome platys though, never seen ones like these before (i wonder if they are platys though, i swear i've seen some similar looking rare livebearer to these fish, hmm);

[URL="http://www.geocities.com/madhunag2002/fish...rers/platy3.jpg"]http://www.geocities.com/madhunag2002/fish...rers/platy3.jpg[/URL]

These platys are quite nice too;

[URL="http://nelivebearers.org/gallery/albums/us...in_Variatal.jpg"]http://nelivebearers.org/gallery/albums/us...in_Variatal.jpg[/URL]

:good: .
 
Your platy are Redtailed Black Variatus platy. Never seen them in my LFS but after seen your picture makes me wanna find them and add to my Variatus tank. Actually Variatus are subtropical species which that why they were kept in the tank without heater.

Hi thanks for that.......will they be ok at 76* ?
 
Those are good looking. I wish I could find nice Platys to add to my group. The only stores that carry various Platys around here have Ich in each of their tanks. The better stores are disease free but don't carry Platys.
 
Hi thanks for that.......will they be ok at 76* ?

i think thats ideal temp mine sit around 82/84 cant do much about it tho its wot my house is like lol but heathly lively and full of colour so.... im happy!!!:)

lovely platy's by the way :)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top