FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

MimiDawn

Reaction score
I have had tanks for roughly two decades now. when I very first started keeping fish, I looked at them entirely differently. To me, at that point, they were living decor.

I was sold two "Red Bellied Cichlids," which, as time went on and I learned more, I realized were actually red-bellied PACUS!!!!! Naturally, they got GARGANTUAN and have REALLY SKETCHY TEETH, so after one of them jumped up and broke my lighthousing on my tank AND killed the other Pacu, it was time to rehome, "Montana!" Thankfully, I was able to find some incredibly kind and experienced fish enthusiasts with THOUSANDS of gallons worth of tanks, in their home AND all the experience needed. I brought her there, myself and inspected things.

ANYWAY, MY QUESTION IS, ARE THEY STILL LEGAL TO PURCHASE? :-( I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT WANT ANOTHER. PERSONALLY, I THINK THEY SHOULD BE INCREDIBLY ILLEGAL TO PURCHASE BECAUSE OF WHAT THEY BECOME AND THE FACT THAT SO MANY PEOPLE LET THEM OUT INTO FRESHWATER WAYS.

It depends where you live as to which fish are legal - its usually down to if the fish can become invasive, mainly around winter temperatures. Which is not too much of an issue in the UK but it is in some parts of the USA.

I've not heard of any laws or legislation around the trade of monster fish in any country. Thinking about it there should be a blanket ban (without permits) to import/ distribute fish that grow over 24 inches for the aquarium trade. Because errors like yours do happen pretty innocently.

I remember one time I walked into a small aquatics shop, it didnt have the best reputation anyway, but as I walked in I was met with a wall full of 2-3 inch Pangasious Cats, like 30-40 store tanks full of them. No one in the store had a clue what they were, they were just cool mini sharks. Unfortunately it was in the days before smartphones and mobile internet so I dont think they believed me. But it just goes to show the monster fish issue is not even at the hobbyist level there are problems at the store and probably wholesaler level too.

It would be quite easy to do too, theres a common list of fish that fit in this category, Tiger Shovelnoses, Pangasious, Pacu, Gars, couple of Knife Fish species - all fish that are seen at small sizes 2-4 inches and sold for £10 each or so (or less!) and all capable of growing 4-5 feet+. It would hit a few serious hobby fish like Rays, Peacock Bass, Bichirs etc but for the serious collectors/keepers it could be covered by permits/licsenses.

Wills

Absolutely! I certainly don't mean blanket ban but Pacu AND the fish that you just named are honestly animals that should really only be owned by people that know what they're doing and have the appropriate setup. That's all. Though I feel the same about dogs, cats or any other animal. You need the right environment. I blame myself for my own screw up. this was a long time ago though, back when I started with fish. I knew nothing about Pacu and I had no idea that they not only can go to be several feet but are also incredibly strong and have very human-like, creepy teeth. LOL

I am never one for a blanket ban of anything though. Just certain fish should only be allowed to be owned by certain people with certain setups IMHO. The people I brought my Pacu to had a FANTASTIC SETUP! :) THOUSANDS OF GALLONS! LOL ...and seascapes painted on their basement walls. ?

Not only should stores know what they are stocking but the people purchasing these aqua babies should also know. A lot of us are guilty of making that screw up when we first start keeping fish ??. Getting what looks cool with minimal research.

Now, I personally don't get anything without the proper amount of research before it goes into my tank. I love my fish as much as my dogs and cats. You know, they have found pacu in Michigan, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, etc... All states that have full and very cold Winters...I live in Pennsylvania right now, in the Pocono's. We currently have several feet of snow on the ground. Not one of those States with weather similar to Southern US. I know they find more pacu in Arizona, Texas and New Mexico BUT those bad boys actually acclimate very well to the cold. LOL
We have plenty of laws here that you are not allowed to put them into State waterways and all that but we all know how well those laws work, with SOME ignorant folks. I got very lucky that I found people with the room and expertise to take mine, years ago. ?
? Very cool fish, though... With super creepy human teeth! LOL

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back