Not new, but I have been away for a long time.

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

colleen0309

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I'm returning to the hobby. I was never completely out but now I want a tank bigger than a 10 gallon. I am in the planning stage. I am setting up a 46 gallon bow front. I'm using black diamond blasting media for substrate and it will be a low light planted tank using root tabs and liquid ferts when needed. My question is on filtration. When I "left" the hobby, cannister filters were the new, must have filtration. For my aquarium size, what would be better for filtration? I have a SunSun canister, a Marineland biowheel HOB rated for a 75 gallon and sponge filters.

I'm returning to the hobby. I was never completely out but now I want a tank bigger than a 10 gallon. I am in the planning stage. I am setting up a 46 gallon bow front. I'm using black diamond blasting media for substrate and it will be a low light planted tank using root tabs and liquid ferts when needed. My question is on filtration. When I "left" the hobby, cannister filters were the new, must have filtration. For my aquarium size, what would be better for filtration? I have a SunSun canister, a Marineland biowheel HOB rated for a 75 gallon and sponge filters.
Hello and welcome back. A couple things I can tell you from 20 years or so in the water keeping hobby is, if you keep plants that require low to medium light, you won't need to spend money on fertilizers. If you simply feed your fish a balanced diet of flakes, pellets and a little frozen, the fish will provide all the fertilizer your plants need. Also, if you're one of the fanatical water changers like I am, you don't need expensive water filtering gizmos. By just removing and replacing half the tank water every few days, you'll maintain a steady and healthy water chemistry for your fish. With an aggressive water change routine, any filter you use is just going to be filtering water that's already clean. A simple $10.00 sponge filter for a larger tank will do the same job as something 10 times as expensive.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Thank you so much for your response! I have 50+ years in the hobby. I'm just a little nervous setting up a new tank. I love water changes and have always done 50% changes on my tanks every week. When I started, we did more, but we didn't have many options for filtration. Now I have all kinds of choices.

I never run one filter when I can run two. So is there a decision, or just a configuration?

All my larger tanks have canisters and HOBs, and since I run central air (for a fishroom), often sponges too. I tend to run the sponges for quick cycling if I change a set up.

Welcome back.

I never run one filter when I can run two. So is there a decision, or just a configuration?

All my larger tanks have canisters and HOBs, and since I run central air (for a fishroom), often sponges too. I tend to run the sponges for quick cycling if I change a set up.

Welcome back.
I know running all 3 types of filters will be overkill. I guess what I really want to know is if you had those 3 choices, which would you run as your primary filter? I also have a small trickle filter I will be filling with biomedia and apothos. You can NEVER have too much filtration but you can have too much flow. I'm planning on a simple community tank. I don't want to blast the fish against the glass, lol. I can always add more filtration. I still have all of my equipment. It's just a matter of what do I dig out of storage to get up and running. I already have sponge filters seeding in my grandsons glow fish and betta tanks.

This becomes pure opinion, as all these filters are good. I prioritize HOBs because they are easier to clean, but like 2 filters for when one is less efficient, or one breaks down. I have a bunch of old second hand canisters that are a bit small for the tanks I use them on, and I pair them with HOBs or sponges.

Why?

Because I have an innate ability to break canisters while cleaning them. You may have finer motor skills...

This becomes pure opinion, as all these filters are good. I prioritize HOBs because they are easier to clean, but like 2 filters for when one is less efficient, or one breaks down. I have a bunch of old second hand canisters that are a bit small for the tanks I use them on, and I pair them with HOBs or sponges.

Why?

Because I have an innate ability to break canisters while cleaning them. You may have finer motor skills...
Thank you for your response. Right now I am leaning towards using a cannister and sponge filters.

I was surprised I was still a member. I see it's changed a little but it seems as friendly as I remember. Thank you for the wrlcome!
No worries. I'm also a member for a number of years but in some way I lost touch with this forum for some years. And when I realized I was still a member overhere, I started to get connected again. Anyways, welcome back to the hobby and forum...

Welcome back.

I run a canister and an HOB on my 40B tank.

Thank you so much for your response! I have 50+ years in the hobby. I'm just a little nervous setting up a new tank. I love water changes and have always done 50% changes on my tanks every week. When I started, we did more, but we didn't have many options for filtration. Now I have all kinds of choices.
Haha I do a 15% water change every day

Most reactions

Back