Not good advice from Youtube for yer Rainbowfish tank.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Stan510

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Let me tell you- I expected to hear "Danio's, or Clown Loaches,or some barbs". What he says to keep with the fast moving Rainbows are , Apistogramma?? If you want to see them starve before your eyes as they are far too slow to outcompete the Rainbows. The rest? Eh,Corydoras and Pleco's are standard for almost any combo of them and other fish.
Basically I would advise- fish that are quick make healthy tankmates..fast and none aggressive fish are what you want to keep with Rainbows to get the most pleasure.
Oh,he also just happened to have those "reco's" in stock to sell.
So many Rainbows are shown as juvenile sized fish and of course it seems like you can keep a hundred of them. Until they start to grow. Then you learn that maybe the Dwarf Rainbows are what you should have went with in your 55 gallon...

I have kribs with mine and I was worried about the same thing, that they wouldn't get enough food but after watching them they definitely handle their own! I tend to feed at the outlet so the food gets pushed around the tank. The kribs are very adaptable and will eat from the surface, on the bottom and they love scavenging in the plants for the leftovers...I think they eat better than the rest to be fair 🤔

Kribs are native to fast creeks and running water. They are not pond or lake fish. I would have added them myself- but I knew that when they spawned,how am I going to catch the dozens of small Kribs in a large plant tank? lol..trying to net them up would be forever!

Should add- "Putting extra food in" to feed the slow fish is a way of over taxing the filter and really isnt a long term solution.

I managed to get them to spawn once whilst they were in their own tank but they've not paired up again since moving them into the big tank, he chases her off so I'm thinking it's unlikely I'll get another load of babies...thank goodness!

Getting back to the video, I don't rate Steenfott at all! I don't know much about Apistos as I've never kept them, my understanding is that they're soft water fish? We have extremely hard water where I am which is why I considered rainbows in the first place....so another reason why the two shouldn't be kept together

Most reactions

Back