Not A Happy Platy

Quite honestly I don't think you will ever find out what has caused this and what you can do about it. They don't have any symptoms you can treat. They are dying quickly with no obvious cause. What can you do? Keep doing water changes in case there IS a toxin in the water, and to get rid of that slight green tinge, try adding carbon if you have some, and cross your fingers. It'll run it's course, whatever it is.

don't feel alone bud, I've had that problem too, all my stats are fine and one by one they have been dropping dead, my Ph was a little high, but since I've switched to sand it's been a little better, now only one drops dead once a week, but I think the culprit is my chinese algae eater...

maybe a bit warm, mine seem happiest at around 24/25, but that shouldn't be causing them to die I don't think.
Yeh, shouldn't be causing them to die. They've always been kept at 26, but it's raised a little bit with the hot weather. But it's been at 26.5 for probably as month now. So the sudden temp change couldn't be killing them, and even so, it's only half a degree lol.:)

Is there any chance that they were exposed to high levels of ammonia in the past? The effects of ammonia poisoning can take a while to show from what I understand.
They haven't been exposed to high ammonia with me. But you never know with pet stores. Although, come to think of it. I got all my platies from my LFS, which were very good, and very clued on. But who knows!

How old are they? Could they be dying of old age?
I've had them probably close to a year. But I wouldn't think platys would die after a year, and even so. All of them??

What can you do? Keep doing water changes in case there IS a toxin in the water, and to get rid of that slight green tinge
Should I continue doing 50% water changes? I tested my ammonia this morning, and it was at 0 :)

try adding carbon if you have some, and cross your fingers. It'll run it's course, whatever it is.
I've got some new carbon here, so I will definately be putting that in. It's just weird, besides my gourami, only the platys are effected. And from my understanding, platys are usually quite hardy aren't they?

but I think the culprit is my chinese algae eater...
I wish I had a culprit to blame, maybe then I could remove the problem!

Thanks for all your help guys. As of this morning, no more fish are dead. Although some of the remaining platys are looking a little sad, and not swimming around like crazy as per usual. My corys are a lot more active then last night, snuffling around like normal. As for all my other fish, they are still zooming around like usual. Nothing out of the ordinary for them. Which again, I just dont understand! If there was a toxin in the water, surely it would be effecting all or most of the fish.

Another platy gone.

It's like they lose all coordination. They cant balance themselves to swim right.

Okay so apparantly my platys have a swim bladder problem. Which makes alot of sense. Unfortunately not much I can do about it, so I'm told. But if anyone has any suggestions or experience in this, please let me know.

I'm sure you can get meds for swim bladder problems ... you can over here anyway

Thing is, you need to know what is causing the swim bladder problem. Like dropsy, it's generally a symptom, not a disease as such.

If I was you, and I wanted to treat this tank,I would start with anti internal bacteria meds. If that didn't help, internal parasite meds. That's just me.

Thing is, you need to know what is causing the swim bladder problem. Like dropsy, it's generally a symptom, not a disease as such.

If I was you, and I wanted to treat this tank,I would start with anti internal bacteria meds. If that didn't help, internal parasite meds. That's just me.

I'm inclined to agree, not that you should listen to me for any particular reason. I would treat for internal parasites using a med that contains an antibiotic. Something like AP General Cure or Tetra Parasite Guard. I'm not a vet, I'm not anything, but I would try this first if it were me.

Thankyou for all your replies. I will head down to my LFS tomorrow, and have a look :) Thankfully, no dead fish today. Fingers crossed!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back