Normal Tetra Behavior?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

cupofjoel

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I recently got a school of congo tetras and they are constantly swimming against the current near my outlet bar. Won't they get tired? LOL

Provided they can get out of strongish currents, they should be fine. It is certainly not normal to have them deliberately swimming in the strongest current, so that is likely a sign of possible stress from something. New fish sometimes do this, so for a few days I wouldn't worry. Just make sure they can get into relatively calm water, mid-tank.

They are finally in the middle of the tank. They are pretty skittish, which is why I got a dozen of them so they can feel more secure. They are the only fish in the tank so hopefully, they will get more comfortable.

My tetra were kind of scared when I first got them. They like shade so if you dont have any big plants that make shade I would recommend getting some because my tetras feel safer with it.

I have a bunch of floating plats so they hover around the top, which is normal for them. Congos tend to swim mid to top tank.

In my view this is going well. It is interesting that even though they are a larger sized characin, they are very timid and easily spooked. I have noticed this with the three different groups I have had over some 25 years. And they certainly do like a good cover of floating plants. My last group in the 90g tank used to move lower in the water column after every time I thinned out the Water Sprite. They wold move back up to mid-tank once the plants had spread out more. This happened at every thinning; they do not like bright overhead light (natural, given their habitat) or being exposed to the surface.

In my view this is going well. It is interesting that even though they are a larger sized characin, they are very timid and easily spooked. I have noticed this with the three different groups I have had over some 25 years. And they certainly do like a good cover of floating plants. My last group in the 90g tank used to move lower in the water column after every time I thinned out the Water Sprite. They wold move back up to mid-tank once the plants had spread out more. This happened at every thinning; they do not like bright overhead light (natural, given their habitat) or being exposed to the surface.

I've reduced the light intensity, but hope my plants will still have enough light to grow.

The tetras are doing fine. They are still very shy, especially during feeding time. I have to drop food and back away and then they will start eating lol.

@Byron I want these guys to grow as fast as possible. Should I feed them several times a day in small amounts?

@Byron I want these guys to grow as fast as possible. Should I feed them several times a day in small amounts?

I would not encourage rapid growth. Fish in aquaria are considerably less active than in the habitat, so food becomes...yes, more trouble than benefit. It will affect their health, much as it does with dogs and cats, and even humans. If we can't burn the energy it begins to harm us. Fry need multiple feedings because they are developing more than growing, but not past this stage. Fish will be healthier with less food.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back